Thursday, May 15, 2014

A TOS Review: Golden Prairie Press




http://www.amypuetz.com/


I love history (I believe I’ve mentioned that before). I was pretty excited to get to review
Digital Heroes & Heroines of the Past: American History Curriculum by Golden Prairie Press. I had never heard of this company before and was delighted to take the journey. 

http://www.amypuetz.com/


What I Received

I received multiple digital downloads which included:

Heroes and Heroines of the Past: American History Part 1: 1000-1837
Heroes and Heroines of the Past: American History Part 2: 1837-Present
Historical Skits
Sing Some History
Listen to US History

Golden Prairie Press provides history resources for homeschoolers. They present history from a Christian worldview.

Digital Heroes & Heroines of the Past: American History Curriculum is their newest venture. The programs features 30 weeks of lessons for grades 1-6.

The Digital Download packages runs $ 98.99. 



How It Works and How We Used It

American History Part 1&2 provide all of the text. There is reading, picture studies, map activities, question & answers, crafts, activity ideas and more!

The Additional Materials download has all of the pictures for picture studies, maps, printables, and a nifty timeline. 

   The Historical Skit download has 19 skits. They are skits from Columbus to WWII. We didn’t do any of these skits. Though I have plans to. They are written for 2-6 actors. Plenty of parts of a family.
Sing Some History are MP3s that contain 20 historical songs. Some of our favorites are included. We enjoyed Yankee Doodle. That happens to be my husband’s favorite movie of all time (James Cagney all the way). We can sing it with the best of them. 

The Listen to Some US History MP3s contain audio of 20 historical speeches and documents. This is downright cool.   

I loved this program from the start. It contains reading for every reading level. We used some of it for Josiah’s reading assignments and I read aloud the rest. It was interesting! Not the dry dusty reading we often get from textbooks. 

We started from the very beginning. A very good place to start. We also used it at our reading co-op a few times. 


We began by reading each lesson. I chose what I wanted to include in that lesson. It was easy to adjust the program as I saw fit. 

I used the summary questions at the end of the day’s lesson quite a bit. In fact, we used some of them to use as journal topics. 

This is our friend, Corey. He enjoyed reading history too!


The craft projects were a lot of fun. Somewhere I have pictures of some very lovey canoes made by our reading co-op group. I think the pics must have run away from home (along with my extra socks).
We really enjoyed our experience. I found that the reading was very interesting. I loved reading the personal stories and that history was presented from a Christian worldview. They didn’t water down any historical figure’s own relationship with God and religious views.


There is a lot of material. I printed off some, but mostly left it on PDF (I just sent it to my Kindle).

If your family loves to read history....This curriculum is for you!

You can connect with Golden Prairie Press:


Click the banner below to read more reviews and Enjoy!


Click to read Crew Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *