Sunday, October 21, 2007

Candy Sunsets

...I wrote this sometimes this past summer....

I had to make a Wal-mart run tonight (imagine that). When I got out of the car I got a really good view of the setting sun. It almost seemed shameful that I had to rush and couldn't sit and enjoy it. It looked like one of those hard cinnamon candies...you know the ones. They come in butterscotch, too. I can't tell you how many sweet little old men have handed me (or my son) one of the butterscotch candies in my life. They have been used at church to win Josiah's affections many times (and it usually works). So anyway, here was this giant cinnamon candy in the sky that glowed. As I wheeled my way around Wal-mart...pushing my cart for all it's worth...I thought about how despite the strange and difficult circumstances that we have found ourselves in, I really have enjoyed the summer so far. Last summer was almost a blur...it was stressful and not any fun at all. I just "existed". I am grateful that I am at that point in my healing that I can look past some of my day to day worries and truly appreciate things like cinnamon candy suns, fireflies, fresh ripe tomatoes and the tall sunflowers in my dad's garden that nod their heads in my direction every time I look their way. What a precious gift. I can tell you that it takes effort not to let worry or the cares of life overwhelm you to the point that you can't see the nodding sunflowers or candy suns for all the "stuff." I have been guilty of letting my worries take over "me." I have been guilty of becoming my troubles...no matter how great or small. I like this way better. There is a certain amount of freedom that comes with enjoying your life and all those candy sunsets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *