Saturday, November 22, 2008

What's a girl to do?

We are experiencing the last days of cable television, at least for a while, at our house. Because we are poorer than Job's turkey currently, we have had to do some budgeting. Our cable really wasn't all that expensive...it's just one of those things. We don't watch a whole lot of network tv....so I will miss my cable shows. I am a bit of a reality television geek...and when I say reality...I mean of all sorts. The cooking shows, the decorating shows, the biographies about dead people (or alive), documentaries about ancient worlds...hey..I'm there! We also love old movies and those sweet sappy movies on the Hallmark Channel. Troy does the whole sports watching thing...I just don't get it. I am currently following the most recent season of Top Chef. Those Top Chefs really can curse up a storm. Makes you wonder. But I do have to say that that is the kind of competition that I can really get into. (not the cursing part, obviously) It also makes me want to start grabbing stuff out of the fridge and the cabinets to see what I can come up with. I'm not sure who I like yet in this new season. I really enjoyed Richard of last season...he did have a bit of a potty mouth on occasion, but though he knew he was exceptional he didn't rub it in and seemed play well with others. There are a few guys on this new season that come across a bit cocky.

I really love to cook, but there are things I can't cook. I can't cook sweet stuff very well. And this has been a problem since my youngest years of cooking. I remember making my first meal entirely by myself when I was 10 or 11. I made fried chicken, mashed potatoes, broccoli and cheese and angel biscuits. Yummy. Then I made a birthday cake for my mom that was highlighted by floating blueberries that swam merrily along the top of a white cake. They weren't supposed to float. In fact, I don't think I was following any particular recipe. I made the cake from scratch as well as the frosting. I guess the blueberries sounded like a good idea...only the cake needs to be completely cooked inside and cool...not to mention the frosting needed to be the right consistency. Powdered sugar and water just doesn't cut it. I also never come out with the right aboumt of cookies. If it says it will yield 2 dozen...I get 3 and a half...not dozen....just 3 and 1/2 cookies. And it's not because I've been sampling the cookie dough either. My sister says I don't follow directions very well...I do too! I just maybe mix it up a bit...which is something that you can't do in baking apparently. So here I am waiting any day now for the cable to go out and I will be forced to wait until Saturday afternoons to watch cooking on PBS...and nobody on PBS is throwing it down in a quick fire challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *