Sunday, May 8, 2011

For A Mother

I have all sorts of wonderful things I could say about Mother’s Day. Being a mom is pretty great.  And I have the blessing of having an absolutely fabulous Mom. And a pretty terrific Mother-in-law. Mother’s Day used to be a bittersweet holiday for me. For me, becoming a mom turned out to be quite a challenge. My body didn’t work the way it was supposed to. And so…after a long 10 years (which included a miscarriage and a failed adoption attempt)...eventually Mother’s Day turned out to be one of my favorite holidays. Not because it is the day when the world celebrates my incredible mothering skills and my “all around awesomeness”. There is one other mom in my life….without her I wouldn’t be the mother I am today. You see, about 9 ½ years ago she made a difficult choice. She gave her sweet brown-eyed baby boy to me…to call my own. I haven’t seen her since that day. She has grown up. Every year I send her pictures and a letter full of all of Josiah’s accomplishments and stories. I don’t know if we will ever meet again. One day Josiah might want to meet her. But every day I ask God to bless her and I thank Him for sending her into our lives. It wasn’t an easy decision for her. And though I know she doesn’t regret her decision there has been heartache for her through the years. So on this Mother’s Day I not only honor the women in my life who have been “Mother” to me…I honor the young woman who made a selfless choice so that I might be called “Mommy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *