Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Margherita Pizza

I adore pizza. Without a doubt it is one of my favorite foods. I am also slightly snobby when it comes to my pie preferences. I don't like frozen pizzas from the grocery store. I just can't get past the cardboardish flavors.

Making pizza at home isn't really that hard. There are plenty of pre-made products that make pizza-making a snap. That being said...there is nothing like making it from scratch.

Tonight I made a truly delicious pie. Don't be fooled by the picture. My batteries died in my camera as I was attempting to document my glorious achievement (I take success where I can get it). I shamelessly pirated this from some unsuspecting site (I googled Margherita Pizza). My own pizza is just as pretty if not prettier. Trust Me.

Start out with a great crust recipe. If you need to use a mix or a premade crust do so. But if you want a treat try making your own. It is not as hard as you think it might be. Here is a link to my favorite crust.





As far as your sauce goes I do have a favorite homemade sauce as well, but all you need with a Margherita Pizza are some good ripe tomatoes. And what a great time of the year for good ripe tomatoes. Mine came straight from the garden. Margherita pizza is a fresh and uncomplicated pizza. Perfect for a summer day.

So here it goes. You will need:

1 pizza crust (my favorite recipe makes 2)
2 good sized tomatoes - thinly sliced
2 T olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
Cheese (I used a combination of asiago, romano and mozzarella. The pizza snob in me would like to use fresh mozzarella, but I need to be frugal)
fresh or dried basil (I used dried because that was all I had, but fresh basil on this pizza is to die for)
salt and pepper

Roll out the pizza crust to your preferences. Add the garlic cloves to the olive oil and heat in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Let it sit for a few minutes to really infuse the flavors together. Spread the garlic oil over your pizza crust. Lay out the tomatoes all over in a single layer. Top with cheese and spread the basil over the cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Now here is where you can stop and just stick it in the oven. But I put Italian Sausage on one of my pizzas. I used one link (raw) and scattered it strategically over the pizza. Actually, Josiah scattered it strategically. Pizza making is a wonderful exercise for a busy boy.

I baked my pizza at 400 (I have a hot oven) for about 10 minutes. Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *