Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Cousin Camp: Day 1 - Treasure Seekers

I promised to do a quick daily post from Cousin Camp.

Technically, I have about 20 minutes until it's tomorrow. At least in my time zone. I'll make it quick.

Cousin Camp officially started today. Because Josiah and I just got home from Indiana yesterday evening we didn't come until this afternoon. The Studly Muffin helped me get my gear packed in my car. He did the usual things like check my oil, etc. He's going to be 'bachin' it for the week. He's got his meals planned out for the week. Canned Tuna fish and Ramen. He is a man of simple tastes. And he's frugal. I'll miss My Muffin.

Anyhoo. After we got things around, we picked up cousin Kalynn, made a run through Taco Bell and 1 1/2 hours later we arrived at Cousin Camp. I can't post any pictures from today (it's too late to look for the camera) so I will post a few highlights of what's happened so far (at least since we've been here).

1. Our friends, Reta and Gabe, came out for the festivities this afternoon.They were promptly greeted by the BBD (The Big Black Dog). He eventually decided that he loved everyone equally and spent the rest of the evening trying to spread the love (or slobber in his case). Nothing like a BBD who really wants to be friends.It's not like you can really say no.

2. The kids, Papa, and Gabe took metal detectors out to the pasture. Papa had found the foundation of an old house some time back. They found old nails and glass. And Gabe found a few interesting pieces that could be from the early 1900's. I had to leave the premises. The metal detector picked up the metal in my legs and hip. And frankly, the kids were pretty frantic with their digging implements. I feared for my life.

3. After the treasure hunt we roasted hot dogs around a fire. The kids roasted some pretty crispy dogs. And then promptly scarfed them down. I think it helps that they roasted the hot dogs themselves. If I would have cooked them that crispy (my preferred way to eat a hot dog) I would have heard all kinds of wailing about burnt hot dogs. And no. Hot Dogs are not on my approved eating plan. I just told myself that food cooked over a campfire and eaten outside really doesn't count. A girl does what a girl has to do.

4. We did a bit of singing after supper. There is something pretty special about singing old hymns to an acoustic guitar on a summer evening. The wildlife (frogs, birds and an occasional cow from down the road) joined in. Reta taught us a song called, Alfalfa Hay. It's meant to be sung in harmony. We did fine until I got tickled. Alfalfa Hay. Alfalfa Hay. Alfalfa Hay. That's it. That's all there is to the song. We're considering going on the road.

5. I think that dusk is a magical time of night. There was just a light breeze and the fireflies were dancing about in between kids. They stayed up late playing Go Fish with bowls of popcorn all spread out on the living room floor. A perfect end to a great day.

Tomorrow we are making jelly, building tents and decorating our camp t-shirts. In the meantime, I am going to close for now. Night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *