Saturday, February 15, 2014

Nothing Lost. Nothing Gained: A Weight Loss Journal

As part of my ever evolving “Be Good to Beke” plan, I am keeping an online weight loss journal. My plan is to tell you how much weight I’m losing, what kinds of things I’m finding that help…etc. etc. And probably (because it’s me) I’ll ramble on about a variety of weight loss related topics. Hopefully. I’m not above discussing the latest episode of Downton. Keep in mind that while I might have an opinion I am not a medical professional (nor do I play one on TV). Be sure when embarking on a healthy lifestyle transformation that you work with a medical professional...especially one who you trust.




It has been one of those "so-so" weeks. The good news is that I haven't gained any weight. The bad news is that I haven't lost any either. I told you a few weeks ago that I had put myself on a extremely low carb diet to jump start a very loooong plateau.
It worked the first week (I've been on it 3 weeks), but since then I've not been able to keep my eyes open long enough  to appreciate my skinnier self. Girlfriend needs her oatmeal! 

By Wednesday morning of this week I was exhausted and frankly, starving. I know I technically can't starve. I've got plenty of fat to eat through before I start looking a poster child for skinny. Anyhoo. I stepped on the scale only to find that I hadn't lost anything. Nothing. Not even an ounce. 

I went to one of Josiah's activities and wailed on my  friend's shoulder. "I look like I'm 12 months pregnant!"  After assuring me that, in fact, I did not look like I was going to give birth at any moment, she gave me some good advice. And a much needed "talking to." 

For one, I have been extremely stressed. Anybody else feel like they are wound up as tight as a spring? I blame it on winter. And my hormones. And the mountain of laundry that has sprung up in the middle of my bedroom. 

Stress does some whacky stuff to a body. My friend (bless her heart) also pointed out that I had come so far. And she told me I was beautiful. Just the way I was. 

I did point out that I would prefer to beautiful at a size 8, but I took it. I needed it. I also realized that maybe I needed to regroup and calm down. My goal is to be fit and healthy and sane. I don't need to get there by March 1. Or even May 1. It's a process. It's a journey. The first 80 pounds didn't come off by me wishing or crying it away. 

I've decided that maybe my extreme low carb diet can only be handled in small doses. I fixed lentils Thursday night for supper and Friday I felt like I could run a mile (that is if I could run). This is after 3 weeks of not being able to pick myself off the couch. Those healthy complex carbs are my friends.

I think the moral of my story is that you have to find out what works for you.  What sounds like it should work in a popular diet book doesn't it mean it will cure all that ails you. You also have to consider other factors in your life. Frankly, being obsessive doesn't look pretty on me.

Here are some tips this week:

Foodie
This week I shared an absolutely fabulous recipe for Coconut Chicken with you. We are at my Mom and Dad's this weekend and there is a mess of  tilapia that is just crying out for the same treatment.

I also wanted to share with you a decadent dessert that has been my go-to treat. I get a much needed chocolate fix with this one....and it doesn't make me feel like I need to turn myself in (to the chocolate police). It is from the Trim and Healthy Mama plan. It's called a Volcano Mud Slide Muffin. Yum!

Move It! Move It! 
As I alluded to before, I have had extremely low energy. I did make one (ONE!) trip up to the Y this week while Josiah was at Swim Team practice and did a half-hearted workout on my favorite machine.

I just plain feel better when I move more.

Scale Says!
It didn't move this week. At all. I suppose I should be grateful that my lack of movement didn't cause me to gain 5 pounds. I have to say that I'm okay with it. I know what I need to work on and it's encouraging to know that eventually I'll get there. My goal this next week is to be more faithful with my workouts.

Have a beautiful weekend!



1 comment:

  1. Wow! You already lost 80 pounds? That's great! It's wonderful that you want to be fit and healthy! That's something I've started working on recently, as well. Snacking is a bit of a challenge for me, but I've learned I just have to stop buying unhealthy snacks and eat smaller portions. It's been working so far, but yesterday I was in the mood for snacks all evening.

    The thing is, even with living a healthy lifestyle - it's ok to give yourself a break! If you're working on losing a lot of weight, at some point, the amount you lose slows down, and that's ok! I definitely agree that you need to figure out what works for you!

    You want to know something a bit unusual? I don't have a scale at home. I'm not really working on losing weight right now but rather being active and healthy, and I know that if we had one, it would drive me absolutely crazy. I judge whether or not I have gained weight purely by my husband's opinion and how my clothing fits. It really prevents me from being obsessive, and that's what works for me :)

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *