Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Carrot Cake with Coconut Cream Frosting (GF/SF)





As promised I am passing along the recipe for the delicious carrot cake my mom made me on my birthday a few weeks ago. I enjoyed every bite of it. I even had it for breakfast the next day. 

 The frosting that comes with it is rich and creamy. I didn't even miss the traditional powdered sugar/cream cheese concoction. 

I am hoping this same makes an appearance at Easter Dinner. We have traditionally had a Coconut Cream Cake or Hummingbird Cake. Mom. If you are reading this maybe you can make me another one. I promise to clean my room. Aren't I shameless? No really. You should see my room. 

Carrot Cake (gluten and sugar free)
Ingredients:
3 cups blanched almond flour
½ cup flax meal
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
5 eggs
½ cup sugar free marmalade
¼ cup coconut oil
3 cups carrots, grated
1 cup raisins (optional...mom used some dried melon)
1 cup walnuts or pecans
Sweetener to taste


Directions: 
In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg
In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, marmalade and oil.

Stir carrots, raisins and nuts into wet ingredients. Stir wet ingredients into dry. Be sure to taste your batter to see if you need to add any extra sweetener. Place batter into 2 well-greased, round 9-Inch cake pans. Bake at 325° for 35 minutes

Cool to room temperature and spread with frosting. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and toasted nuts.

Coconut Cream Frosting

Ingredients:
A can of FULL FAT Coconut Milk
1 block of cream cheese
1 container of Greek Pineapple Yogurt
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
You can add a little sweetener to taste

Directions:
Put a can of coconut milk in the fridge. Let it sit there all night or all day. The fat of the coconut milk will rise to the top. Spoon that part out and put in your mixing bowl.  Now just mix and mix until it starts to thicken. Then add the cream cheese and yogurt. Mix some more. Next add the vanilla extract and sweeten to taste. It will be beautiful and creamy. 


 Goodness Gracious! That was good cake. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *