Sunday, April 27, 2014

One Foot (in front of the other)

Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you'll be walking cross the floor
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you'll be walking out the door

You never will get where you're going
If you never get up on your feet
Come on, there's a good tail wind blowing
A fast walking man is hard to beat


You might recognize these lyrics from the classic Santa Clause is Coming to Town....sung by the late Mickey Rooney. 

Don't worry. This isn't a post about early Christmas preparations. 

Something happened this weekend that I didn't expect. 

About a month ago, I sighed up our little family to participate in a walk/run.


Though it was a big deal to me. There is the whole matter of all bits of metal in my lower half. Even though it was only a mile I knew that it would be a bigger deal for me...than for this fellow down here.


Our YMCA was putting it on as part of a Healthy Kids Day at one of the local parks.


It was a chilly rainy Saturday morning. There was the promise of a sunshiney day later on.


I had to take a few pictures. You know how that is.


But I kept on walking.


And walking. 


Everybody passed me. 
Except for the Muffin. 


 The Man who could walk (and run!) circles around me stayed with me as I plugged along. Every little bit the staff from the Y would be along the edge of the route...cheering us on.

I will admit. It was hard for me, but not impossible. When I got about to this point, I got emotional. Why? I have been able to walk now for years. But it was only last year that I could walk 10 minutes on a treadmill. And then 20 minutes. I got sniffly. "What's wrong?" The Muffin asked. I tried to clean up my act. I didn't want to completely loose control. I was doing it! I was walking! I was walking a mile!


It didn't matter that everyone else came in before me. Even the preschool group beat me. That's okay. When Josiah got his participation ribbon I felt like I had gotten something so much more. A little hope.  Sometimes a miracle doesn't happen overnight.


He also won a really cool game bag. Hope and Jenga. That's a good morning. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *