Friday, October 17, 2014

Just a cup of water....





It's been a rough week. I have been having a few physical issues. Nothing life threatening..thankfully. I'm just moving a bit slower than usual. I also feel like I'm working on fewer and fewer brain cells.

Don't even go there.

Every Thursday morning, Josiah and I drive to my friend's house for our "Reading Buddy Club." I teach a class for 4 smiling faces of all ages and sizes.  This week we worked on notebooking journals about our recent field trip to The George Washington Carver National Monument.

This morning I rolled over and grabbed my phone to check the time. I hadn't set my alarm the night before. Through blurry eyes I could see I was running late.

I literally creaked my way out of bed.

Have I mentioned it's been a rough week?

Josiah was already up and chipper. The stinker.

I didn't even bother to put on my make-up. I threw on the first pair of pants I could find with a stretchy band and rummaged around in my drawers for a shirt that wouldn't require me to suck in my gut.

I tossed down my morning meds and with Josiah in tow, headed out the door.

On the way I found out my CD player isn't working.

 So much for listening to that book on CD we need to get finished.

I also discovered I needed to get gas.

Thank goodness Josiah can pump gas.

I could tell it was going to be a gorgeous day. I frankly wasn't in the mood.

Even the sunshine seemed like an affront.

We reached my friend's house and the kids came out to greet us.

Bright eyed. Cheerful. Welcoming.

Josiah's friend (who is 10) had already set the table with our notebooks and pencils.

He had also filled for us big glasses of water.

He had thoughtfully filled a Cardinals glass for Josiah. He knows Josiah loves sports.

My glass was covered with Santa Clause and Christmas Trees.

The water was also warm.

Really warm.

I tried not to grimace as I sipped my water. "Mmm, Thank you!"

Such a sweetie. I can't tell you how much just that gesture touched my heart. It didn't take the ache from my bones nor the weariness from my body. But it did soothe my soul...just a bit.

Sometimes we think that we need to show thoughtfulness in grand gestures. We decide that if we can't do something spectacular we can't do anything at all.

This young man doesn't have the resources to make my rough week go any smoother. He can't heal my body. He doesn't have the finances to fill my bank account. He can't provide for me opportunities to help me fulfill God's calling on my life.

His parents are doing something right. They are teaching him to give what he has. To be a servant. And to anticipate the need's of another.

Isn't that what God asks of all of us?

Consider what it says in Matthew 10:42.

 And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones who is my disciple, truly I tell you, that person will certainly not lose their reward.”
I am not comparing my lot to that of Peter or John. 

I fail. So many times I fail.

May God help me to take my eyes off of what I am suffering. May He help me focus on those around me who just might need a (warm) cup of water. Or a smile. Or a good word.

This isn't anything I have to wait to do. I can do it today. This very minute.

It's something to think about it.










Just a little note: When we got home today I crashed. When I got up from my nap I noticed a big glass of water next to me on the bedside table. Now I hadn't said a word about how much my little friend had blessed me this morning by making sure I had water. Josiah had just taken it upon himself to provide me with a glass of water for when I got up. It further confirmed what God had been speaking to me about in my heart. Plus...it made this mama's heart glad. ;<)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *