Thursday, October 29, 2015

Meatballs with Dipping Sauce 3 Ways (#madewithchobani)


Football season is highly revered here at my house. The Muffin and Josiah have their fantasy team. They've been talking scores and players and the like. I just supply a little moral support. I have my appropriate "ah..that's too bad" face ready when a favorite team fumbles. Victories are celebrated with a thumbs up. Personally, I don't understand much of it. Jane Austen didn't write about football. 

I can be relied on to handle some football watching food. You know me. I am all about using what you have and for our weeknight football games I like making it as healthy as I can.  

A few nights ago, I whipped up a batch of baked turkey meatballs with dipping sauce made with Chobani Greek Yogurt. Of course, I can't make just one sauce...I had to supply a little variety for my guys. 


What I like about making up my own sauces is that I can control what goes in the recipe.  It is always a little concerning to read the back of a label.

I wanted each sauce to be just a little different. I chose to make a Yum Yum Sauce, a spicy Chipolte Sauce and a Honey Mustard Sauce.  

They were all so easy to whip up. Using my Ninja, I made each sauce ahead of time and put each one in a refrigerator container to let all those flavors meld together. The Yum Yum Sauce particularly needs time to sit.


I then turned my attention to my meatballs. This is a really simple recipe. I used ground turkey instead of beef and oats instead of breadcrumbs. I wanted them to be gluten free, as well. You can use your favorite meatball recipe (I give you this one at the end of the post) or buy a package of frozen meatballs.  



The final results were delish! 


I piled up the meatballs and stuck them with toothpicks that I had wrapped with a little washi tape (cause I'm just a bit crazy likethat). I also cut up a few carrots and a little celery and sprinkled up a bit of chopped parsley over the whole thing. This is the Spicy Chipolte Sauce. 



This one was The Muffin's favorite. You can control the heat with the amount of chipolte peppers you add.


My favorite with the Yum Yum Sauce. I also added a dollop of red chili oil. My intention was to use sriracha, but I'm out! Somebody has been using sriracha like ketchup.  The Yum Yum Sauce itself is sweet.  Kinda like Josiah Bevan. 





I also made The Muffin a couple of Meatball sandwiches. I stuck 3 in a whole wheat hot dog bun, covered them with a little provolone and baked them for just a bit. Then I smothered the whole thing with the Honey Mustard Sauce.

He was a fan. Check out the okra pickles. They were just hanging out in my Mom and Dad's food cellar  waiting to be taken home. I don't think they canned any this year. I might have to sneak a few more jars in my purse before it's all over. We take okra pickles seriously around here.



This was an EASY dish to whip up. For an extra special presentation I used the chalkboard for a little encouragement and grabbed one of Josiah's football buys from his room. Not that my boys were that impressed. They were more interested in scarfing down the food. Can you imagine?


As promised here are the recipes I used.

Turkey Meatballs: 1 pound of ground turkey, 1 egg, 1/4 cup of oats, 1 clove of garlic, 1/8 cup chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Mix everything together and form balls. Place meatballs on cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 375.  (I just threw everything in my Ninja and whipped them up)

Just a little aside about the meatballs. I usually add 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese to my meatballs. I was completely out of my parm! I also like a little sage or thyme instead of the parsley...you can use dry herbs. Just add a teaspoon or so.

Yum Yum Sauce: 1 small container of Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt, 3 T of sweetener (you can use sugar if that's your thing), 3 T of rice wine vinegar, 2 T of melted butter, 1 tsp. of smoked paprika, 1 minced garlic clove. Mix everything together and store in refrigerator as long as you can stand it. It is especially yummy the next day.

Spicy Chipolte Sauce: 1 small container of Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt, 1 or 2 chipolte peppers, 2-3 T of lime juice, 1 minced garlic clove, dash of salt. Throw everything in a food processor (or the like). Whip up until pretty.

Honey Mustard Sauce: 1 small container of Chobani Plain Greek Yogurt, 2 T of spicy mustard, 2-3 T of honey. That's it! Make sure you taste it. Mine needed a little more honey.

So that's about it. Enjoy! Go check out more healthy yummies you can make with Chobani yogurt. They have tons of recipes on their site.  There are several I thought looked delish...including a Cranberry Orange Bread I'm thinking about adding to my holiday recipe list. My favorite Apple Cake uses yogurt so I'm sure it will be a hit!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *