Tuesday, June 19, 2018

MaxScholar Reading (A Homeschool Review Crew Post)

Back in 2016, we got to review the Reading Intervention Program from MaxScholar (you can read that review here).  We obviously were fans at the time, but Max has made some changes and I wanted to see what was what. We received a 12 month subscription to the Reading Intervention Program.



Before I tell you about our experience, I need to give you a little background information. 

First. Josiah is dyslexic. That being said...this boy is rocking the reading. He doesn't like to read in general, but I am so proud of how far he has come. If I could give advice to any parents that are trying to navigate the whole "school thing" with a struggling reader it would be this. Read often. And look for those tools that can provide you with support. 

I have come across a few excellent resources in our journey. And I have to say that MaxScholar is one of those resources. There are a few things that make it initially overwhelming, but I'll talk about that in a minute. 

About MaxScholar. This is an online program. You will need internet access and some way to hear...either speakers or headphones.

We primarily have used the MaxReading portion of the program. Your student will need to take a placement test before beginning. I was pleasantly surprised with his placement. But don't stress out if the placement is not where you think it should be. The program really adapts with your student and you need to let it all play out. I will show you a brief walk-through of this portion in just a minute.

There are other portions that can be used as stand-alone activities.

MaxMusic - We used this portion exhaustively in our last review. Josiah loves music and MaxMusic uses popular songs and artists.  Students practice reading, working on memory skills...all by reading song lyrics and more! 
MaxPhonics - Is terrific for the younger readers. It teaches phonics at a basic level...all by using multi-sensory methods. 

MaxVocab - Speaks for itself. 



MaxPlaces - Features geographical locations. Students apply the same skills they are learning in MaxReading. .

MaxBios - Actually, much of what Josiah has done during this review period can be found here. These are biographies of well-known people.  He has read biographies about Alfred Hitchcock, Gandhi, Steve Jobs and more!  



How We Used It


MaxScholar uses the Orton-Gillingham and Lindamood Bell method of reading instruction. This method of instruction has been proven to be highly successful for struggling readers.

Here is an informative video you can view if you have a minute.




I get my own special password and account apart from Josiah's. I will walk you through a lesson.  It is suggested the student use the program at least 3 times a week.

This what I see when I begin. I do know based on Josiah's experience that sometimes he is allowed to choose a topic, but often it will just move on through a series of lessons. I chose College Majors: Dance.


This first screen gives us all the vocabulary words we might need to be aware of. You notice that I have the option to hear the instructions and make the font smaller or larger. Apparently they saw me coming with my old lady eyes.

 After reading through the text, it is now on to highlighting. I have to say that this was the trickiest portion for Josiah to get the hang of.  I just highlighted a few things to let you see the end result.

I didn't do so well. But we all know I could have rocked it if I had given it an effort. Josiah told me his secret (once he figured it out). He basically just highlights all the nouns and verbs. I'm not so sure that is what MaxScholar had in mind.



The next portion is to create an outline using your highlighted notes.
 And then I am given an opportunity to write a summary, open ended question or general question using the passage.
Then there were questions.  My friends. This little quiz even allows you to scan over the text before answering each question.


Who got time for dat?


Thankfully, MaxScholar doesn't the student play any of the fun games attached to the reading unless they have scored a C. There goes my fun for the night! 

You also have the option to redo the chapter. Josiah did that a few times. He liked to beat his score. 


I did get a couple of screenshots from a hangman game Josiah played.


Very fitting. He knows exactly what that word means. 💓


So the issues we have had with MaxScholar are minimal. I think it just takes some playing around with.  But because the lessons follow the same pattern Josiah soon got the hang of them. 

What I did notice in comparison with our last go-around with MaxScholar is that it is easier to navigate. There are also some great reporting features. I could see what Josiah struggled with and what he excelled in. Often with online programs, we occasionally run into little glitches. We haven't had any issues. The program runs quickly and efficiently. 

This program can also be used at home with homeschool students AND kiddos who attend public school. In fact, many schools use MaxScholar.

It's a keeper! 

Don't forget to click on the banner below to read more reviews. You can connect with MaxScholar via the following social media outlets.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/maxscholarllc?lang=en
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MaxScholarLLC/
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/maxscholar/


Reading Intervention Programs {MaxScholar Reviews}
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *