Monday, November 1, 2010

Getting Ready For the Holidays! (I sneaked a peak at Molly's Money-Saving Digest)

If you could see me now the first thing you might notice is the big grin I have on my face. I just read Molly’s Money- Saving Digest “Preparing Our Hearts and Homes For the Holidays” Let me first say I love, love the Holidays. I start getting all misty-eyed when thinking about my mom’s famous peanut brittle, the gingerbread house my little boy and I made last year, my collection of snowmen and of course, our little ceramic Nativity. What happens next is something fringing on hysteria. “What! Thanksgiving is only how many weeks away? How many shopping days until Christmas? I just got my flip flops put up from the summer! And what are we going to do this year special on our limited budget?” Molly’s November Digest gave me so many useful and inspiring nuggets of ideas and information.

I am (if I do say so myself) a pretty good cook. However, I am somewhat of a hit and miss baker. Sometimes I create a hit…Most of the time I miss. I start out great every year. I dig out the recipes that have been passed down through the generations and then I find new treasures. I gather my ingredients and then I go into a baking frenzy. More often than not the results are disappointing. Right of the start Molly gives us a primer on Baking. I can tell you that I have been baking for years and never even knew some of this stuff. Did you know that there is a way you can test the usefulness of your baking soda and baking powder. Do you why you need to stay away from light margarines when baking? There is even advice on sending your goodies through the mail. My nephew in the Air Force is going to love me this year! There is so much fantastic information here I can’t gush enough. Maybe I will finally be able to hold my head high at our annual Cookie Swap!

Another treasure I found in the November Digest is the ever helpful weekly meal plan. How great is that! I struggle with meal planning. There never seems to be enough time. Not only are the meals in Molly’s Digest do-able for a busy family (and look scrumptious), but Molly provides a grocery list. It’s like having your own personal assistant…sans the actually assisting. What a help during the hectic Holiday season! I think the Family Salad Bar has to be my favorite idea. I can see incorporating that particular meal night on a regular basis.

If you are like me you are trying to instill into your kids a sense of decorum and manners…especially at the table. This month’s digest features a kid’s primer on dining etiquette. There is even a placemat to print out so your child can take what he or she has learned and illustrate a table setting. I think I might even take it one step farther and plan a Holiday Tea with my nieces, nephews and son. We will have our own little dining etiquette lesson using the printable placemat and all Molly’s dinner party advice.

There are so many treasures in this particular issue of Molly’s Digest. But what I appreciate the most was the very timely reminder of what we as God’s children are really celebrating. It really hit home. I also need to be grateful for the resources that God has placed in my hands and use them as creatively and generously as I can. I was reminded that I need to ask God for help. He orders my steps. Thanks, Molly! I feel like I am heading into the Thanksgiving and Christmas season with not only a game plan, but a refreshed spirit.

This issue has so much more, from great FREE Holiday planning links to table decorating ideas. There are instructions for a bread basket craft and a great testimony from a family who worked to pay off their 54,000 debt in 33 months. What a terrific article for a husband and wife to read together. It will certainly inspire anyone who desires to live debt free. If you are able I would encourage you to check out this issue of Molly’s Money- Saving Digest. You will not be disappointed!


(P.S) I have purchased several issues of Molly's Money-Saving Digest in the past. I have always found them to be very useful and affordable. Click HERE to find out more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *