Tuesday, May 24, 2011

At the Farm: Big Black Dogs & More

I thought I would post some happy pictures. After so much destruction this week it is comforting to know that there are still places that are peaceful and lovely....and we are not talking about the handbag department at Macy's...though if I had the money right now I could do some pretty impressive stress shopping. Nothing says comfort like a new Fossil purse. And so none of you leave my little blog with the impression that I am this marvel of a photographer, let me give credit where credit is do. These pictures were taken by my Mom at their farm in Stella a few weeks ago. Everything has bloomed up since then.  But the landscape was still absolutely beautiful.

I love this picture. This is Papa and Josiah on a nature walk. It was also during this nature walk that Josiah was attacked by the Great Thorn and maimed for life. He talked about it for daaayys. He's an only child. We take adventure where we can find it.


There isn't a Saturday that goes by that somebody doesn't pick up a fishing pole (conveniently stationed by the back door) and heads to the pond. It's a great pond. There is always something biting. The tall guy in the plaid shirt is my nephew, Christopher. He and his twin, Kalynn are turning 14 next month.. I am too young to be an aunt to teenagers. I just turned 16 myself :<)

Papa is showing off again!


 Now would be a good time to introduce Solomon. He is a Rottweiler. He is Big. He is Black. He also thinks he's a lap dog. Solomon has decided that everyone is really fishing for him.

This is a great picture. Notice the reflection on the pond. Gorgeous.


Solomon is hoping that the next fish is his. Who needs a Fish Finder when you have a BBD (Big Black Dog)?


Come on! Give a Big Black Dog a break! 


Here are some more great reflection pictures. The pond looks like a mirror!



My Dad found Solomon when he was just a puppy in the church parking lot. He brought him home. We were living with them at the time (it was just after my second episode of congestive heart failure). Solomon grew and grew noticeably every week. When he was little he would sit on my lap and lay his head and paws on my shoulder. He still tries. He doesn't know he's a Big Dog now.  Josiah and the cousins ride him like a pony.


The real boss on the farm is Nim...She is a ferocious mouser and highly intelligent (according to Papa). 


Every farm needs a tractor. Notice the fancy dancy pipe cover. I think it's a Big Laundry Detergent Bucket. There are dozens of Big Laundry Detergent Buckets all over the farm. We here in Southwest Missouri are resourceful. You can find Big Laundry Detergent Buckets in use in a variety of ways on the farm. It has been privy, dishwasher, chair and coffee table. 

 How can you not love this Big Black Dog? 


All he wants is just a fish! (I think he actually grabbed one off the pole and swallowed it whole a few days after this picture was taken)

So tonight, as we prepare for another round of nasty weather, I am thinking about lazy, sunny afternoons. There is always a jug of sweet tea nearby and I can always find a good book to sweep me away. Sigh.

2 comments:

  1. rebekah , just absolutely, wonderful. girl you are so talented. i envey you. im proud to call you a daughter. really very good pics. love you MoM T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw...thanks, Mom T. I am blessed to have you as my other mother. Miss you bunches and bunches.

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *