1. I don’t even have words to describe the heat. Ugh. Grr. Plf. See. No words. We all got in the car today and drove to pick up a couple of my prescriptions at Wal-mart. Neither of our cars have air-conditioning. I believe I have whined about that before. It hasn’t gotten any better. Thankfully, the air-conditioning in the apartment is working just fine. One of my neighbors told me she is keeping her air on 68 degrees and lower. That sounds like heaven. I’m afraid I would freeze my boys out. I have said more than once that I would be happy nekid in a freezer. I am not prepared to try it…I say a lot of things.
2. Speaking of ‘not working’…We have a 3-4 inch white stripe running vertically through the middle of our flat screen television. It started a few months ago (a month after the warranty ran out) with a translucent stripe. Now it has graduated to this lovely white edition. We have had to adjust our tv habits somewhat. I still find myself straining to peer over the side of the white stripe to see what’s behind it. It has also challenged Josiah’s Wii playing skills. He’s much more patient that I would be with it. I tried to watch a movie with subtitles the other night when my boys were out golfing. I got tired of trying to play “guess the word behind the stripe.” We’re kind of stuck with it right now. As annoying as it is we can’t eat it or put it in the gas tank.
3. Not that watching TV is so important to me. We have Netflix (the poor person’s cable), but we only get a couple of regular TV stations. I generally catch up with my favorite shows online. Design Star. The Glee Project. So You Think You Can Dance. I am not really into cop shows, or medical shows, or soap operas, or even those forensic investigation shows. They wear me out. I prefer the lite and fluffy shows. The most shocking thing that has happened on the Design Star lately was an unfortunate coffee table creation. Now I will admit to being a fan of Star Trek and Doctor Who. A good fantasy goes a long way with me and who doesn't love a good trek across the galaxy? Books are an entirely different thing altogether than TV. I will read just about anything. Give me a good mystery while I sit nekid in the freezer. And to be perfectly honest when you have kids you spend more time with "Arthur" or "The Suite Life with Zack and Cody" on your television than anything else.
4. I broke a rule today. Okay, so it was a rule of my own making, but nevertheless. I bought something craft-like for our upcoming Cousin Camp. I am so ashamed. Well, not really. I couldn't resist. It had sparkles and a clearance tag. How can a girl pass something like that up! (you can follow my Cousin Camp preparations here and here.) The picture doesn't do the sparkles justice, I promise!
5. The Studly Muffin is participating in an event tomorrow absolutely unheard of in the daily operations of his employer (Gospel Publishing House). He is working overtime, my friends. Hallelujah! (I am belting out the alto part of Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus right now!)
6. I really need to brush up on my editing skills. Either that or get more sleep. My apologies to those who really care about my grammatical deficiencies. I could be defense and tell you that when I wrote for money I had an editor who could clean up my punctuation and grammar. I miss her. I was always tempted to send her other things to edit along with my assignments. Random e-mails. Grocery Lists.
7. So my plans tonight? I have been sitting here pounding away on my laptop, sighing loudly and occasionally mumbling something about 'ice cream,' but nobody is taking my hint. Being a calorie watcher I am not going to initiate a trip to the Frozen Custard Shop..but I certainly won't turn down a treat from a loved one! Josiah also just came in and told me that he was going to have to skip his (and I repeat) "My Night Light Watching." Every night he has a routine of standing out on the balcony for a little while. I made him stop howling (at the moon or whatever), but I assumed he was just taking in the summer evening atmosphere. Now it turns out he waits and watches for all of the parking lot lights to come on at dusk. This was a revelation to me. The reason he can't stand vigil for the "Night Lights" tonight? He's afraid his Daddy will think it is weird. Now what does that say about me?