Saturday, December 10, 2011

A Handmade Christmas: Little Bitty Aprons

I'm going to show you something seldom seen by any man, woman or child. Unless you happen to live in my house.

Warning: The picture you are about to see may cause dizziness, heart palpitations, shortness of breath and a general sense of foreboding. If you are a Neat Freak you might avert your eyes.



ACK! I told you. This is one of my dining room chairs. I would show you my table, but I am still hoping that I am actually hallucinating when I look at it. Surely somebody wouldn't be able to fit that much stuff on one little table, right?

I'm drawing the line at photographing other "hot spots" in my house. The bottom of the closet. My spice basket. The bathroom. When Josiah is grown I am going to insist that I was an indefatigable housekeeper. And he must have dreamt up memories of using the mountainous pile of laundry as a ski slope. The less evidence I have of my preholiday housekeeping mayhem the better.

I do have a bit of an excuse. I am in the final stages of my Christmas project spectacular. Soon we shall regain control of the Dining Room Table.

I thought I would share one of those projects with you. The picture gives us a few hints of an additional project or two, but I am not sharing those until after Christmas. The recipients have been known to visit my blog on occasion. If you think I'm talking about you...I'm not. Just get it out of your head right now. You ain't gettin' nothing.

I can share this one. I have actually had these done for a few months now. I made aprons for my little nieces. I was tempted to use Josiah as a dress model, but thought better of it. Daddy would frown. So plese excuse my clumsy attempt at an apron display. This particular little apron needs to be ironed. I've had it wadded up in a ziplock bag. I made a total of four of these. They range in sizes 2T - 8 in little girls.


Here is another one. The nice thing about this particular project is that I used scraps from the scrapbag. Back in September I had made aprons for the Recreational Staff at a nursing home in Joplin. They needed apple themed aprons and I had some of the red and white fabrics I had used leftover. The bodice (denim) and the skirt (the yellow and white seersucker) I made from fabric I have had for quite some time. These little aprons lined with muslin. Ordinarily, I like to line with a coordinating fabric. This time I had several to make and wanted to save my pennies for other things like milk and toilet paper. The only things I bought for this project was a cheap pattern, thread and a package of new needles for my machine. 


Instead of spending money on a pricey applique I made my own. Looks like I have a few spare threads to trim on this one.


To make my fabric stretch further I mix and matched. Here is the other cupcake. I just used buttons from Grandma's Button Box to add a little character. I love using buttons as accents. It's kind of my thing.


On one of the other little aprons I made (which is now under somebody's tree) I created a more complicated bow. I grew weary. So I simplified my bow. Which still looks pretty cute, don't you think?


For this particular apron I did purchase a pattern (one of those .99 sales at Hobby Lobby), but because I was worried about my fabric supply I made a few changes and improvised. One of these days I promise to post a few of my tips and tricks for sewing. I learned to sew when I was 11 or 12, but I am not an excellent seamstress. As I've said before, I fake it 'til I make it. Which sometimes gets me by.

Happy Crafting!

Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *