Thursday, March 15, 2012

321 Cake



I am not the bestest baker in the world. I am not even close. In fact, some of my baking disasters are stuff of legend (just ask my mom about the blueberry floating cake). I have decided that it is because baking is science. An exact science. You have to follow directions. I tend to be more "organic." Throw a little of that and this in the pot. Now that's cooking.

On a recent visit with my Mom, I discovered this cute little recipe for little cakes. She made them with some her grandkids that were visiting. What I saw were perfectly formed tiny cakes with pink frosting. Cute! Recently, when my 2 little nieces visited I decided they would make a perfect afternoon baking adventure.

The cake is called 321 Cake (I believe it is a Weight Watchers Favorite). The ingredients are simple. I found that silicone pan at a thrift store for .11. I'm not sure why it was .11. Why not .12? You can also see some of my ingredients are the product of the markdown bin. My regular cake mix I got for .50 and the sugar free frosting I found for .99.  I'll post complete recipe at the end of this post.


Mix both cakes mixes together. You want to know the difference between cooking with boys and cooking with girls? Not a whole lot. Except the boy keeps making emergency trips to his bedroom so he can rearrange little army guys into a new battle formation.


Stir them both together.


Measure 3 Tablespoons of the cake mix into the little baking cups. Resist the urge to lick the mix off your fingers during the process.



I let everyone take a turn. So basically we made little cakes all afternoon.


Then measure 2 Tablespoons of water into the cake mix.


Stir. Warning! Warning! I should have stirred these up myself. You shall soon see.


Pop in the microwave for 1 minute. It's magic!


Oops. Beke's Baking Disasters strike again. And this time I'm passing the Baking Disaster Bug down to my son and his cousins. This is why I should have stirred. The cake mix and water has to be stirred pretty good.




Sigh. Everything's better with chocolate. And frosting. And chocolate frosting.





This is the end result of one of our later cakes. We made them just like we made the previous ones....I just stirred the mix before we "baked" them. Josiah frosted this cake.



Here is the recipe (along with a few of my suggestions)

      INGREDIENTS:
1 box Angel Food Cake Mix
1 box Cake Mix - Any Flavor
Water


DIRECTIONS:
Combine the two cake mixes together and mix well. For each individual cake serving, take out 3 Tablespoons of the cake mix combination and mix it with 2 Tablespoons of water in a small microwave-safe container. I used my silicone baking pan. I really think that a glass one would have done better. It took a little longer for them to "bake." Microwave on high for 1 minute (it took mine about 1.5). Viola! You have cake!


Keep remaining cake mixture stored in the ziploc bag. They would be really darling with a some sliced strawberries (or other fruit) and a little dollop of cool whip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *