Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A Big Adventure


I want to get this out of the way. Today is my birthday. I'm 40. I don't have to tell you that I've approached this particular birthday with dread. But, I've been convicted for having such stinky attitude about my increasing years. I just figured I'd know everything I'd need to know before now and I sure would be a lot skinnier. Sigh. Oh well. I've decided to be grateful for the very breath I have today. It wasn't always so certain I'd live to be 40.

Anyhoo. We're hosting 2 of our nieces this week. They are on Spring Break. So we are pulling out all the stops. On a budget. I thought I would share a few random pics of our adventure yesterday. We are having glorious spring weather here in the Ozarks.

Disclaimer: If you do not enjoy looking at random pictures (accompanied by garrulous, yet insightful comments from "yours truly") you will not enjoy this post..

First of all,  I need to reveal my shame. I used a port-a-potty at the park. It was nasty. I realize that we've all had to use them (or maybe you are one of the fortunate ones who can "hold it" for hours).  But here's the thing. I am not a bit comfortable in one of these things. The sanitation alone is an issue with me. And. What if a strong wind knocked it over...or a couple of obnoxious teenagers? What if people could see me! And I'm pretty sure I have the plague now!  I mean really. This is the "view" from my vantage point. You can practically stick a Big Mac through that crack in the door.  (Not that a Big Mac would be appetizing in this setting)



Aw. The joys of the Merry-Go-Round. To be honest I have a fragile relationship with The Merry-Go-Round. I fell off of one in 1st grade and haven't felt the same about them since. You do understand I turned 40 today, right? I still have a few issues I need to work out.


Josiah has it figured out. Never get off. Never sit down. Just don't move.


King of the Mountain (and his loyal subjects)


Wildlife. (this, my city folk friends is a goose. Don't mess with the goose. He might nip you)


That is what I told my nieces. Alexandra decided to take my advice to heart and keep her interaction to the Wildlife at a distance.


Josiah incorporates all his best baseball moves in the fowl feeding.


This, my city folk friends is a duck. A funny duck, but a duck, nonetheless. Ducks are harmless and generally don't care to nip you. Now a rooster or a mad hen...that's a different story. See? Aren't you glad you are reading this?  You might never know when you need to run from a crazy rooster.


A swan.  I really don't know if a swan will nip. Swan's weren't part of my farm story growing up.


Climbing


Josiah and Alex. Posing.



I'm not sure what Josiah is doing. I think he's posing, but it looks like something might have flown up his nose.

More posing. And we added Madalyn.




Land Ho!


We packed a lunch. I let them decorate their bags and make their own sandwiches. We added cuties, a granola bar and some bottled water. I'm pretty proud of myself. Considering Josiah and I took Taco Bell on a previous picnic. 'Cause nothing says "nature" like a bean burrito.


After our interaction with Nature and What Not, we went to see a movie. One of our local movie theatres has movies for $1 on Tuesdays. We love $1 movie days. I splurged for a couple of drinks and some popcorn. Are you kidding me? I could have bought everybody supper with what we spent. We enjoyed our Highbrow selection of the latest Alvin and the Chipmunks movie. The kids loved it and I will admit to doing a bit of "moving to the beat." I grew up with Alvin. How come he's still so young?


I've enjoyed my nieces. Girls are so much different. Alex is growing her hair out to donate to "Locks of Love." She doesn't plan on changing her last name when she gets married (she's almost 9) and she informed me that butter in the popcorn is unhealthy. Hmm. Is she related to me? I thought our family invented butter.

Madalyn (Maddie Paige) has been schooling me in the Lady Gaga Songbook. She's pretty much up for everything. Well. Almost. Right at this minute (as I type this) she is trying to play an Agatha Christie murder mystery game on the Wii. I told her she probably wasn't going to like it. I give her 2 minutes to put Just Dance back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *