Sunday, November 3, 2013

TOS Review: EEME


I’ve mentioned previously that if it were up to me Josiah’s education "concerning all things technical"  would be severely lacking. As far as I’m concerned, the little people living in my electronic devices (making everything work) do a fantastic job.
Ironically, I was raised by a man who (along with some fairly hefty scholastic chops) is an electrical engineer. Memories of my childhood include hearing phrases like resistors, inductors, capacitors, and voltage sources. Not that I really understand what they all mean.  This is also where I probably need to admit I don’t remember much about my college Physical Science class either.
I’m more of a light and fluffy kind of gal.
You can see that I need some serious assistance when it comes to some of the more practical parts of Josiah’s education.  I was more than willing to review EEME’s Project Genius Light.

http://eeme.co/
What I Received And How it Works
EEME was started by a Jack, a dad who desired to provide his young son with educational toys that would keep him asking “how” and “why.” Pretty important questions if you ask me.
 Here is the goal of EEME.
To nurture the curiosity & critical thinking kids need for the science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) opportunities of tomorrow.  
So how do they do that? EEME provides a monthly hands-on project kit "to teach kids about the technology around them" along with online video curriculum on the EEME website.
Each month your child will receive an EEME project it in the mail. They are then able to go online and work right along with the video lessons. Not only do the lessons teach the “how” and the “why,” but there are also interactive quizzes right along with the lessons. Each month’s kit builds on the previous month’s activity.
Obviously, you will need a working computer, a good internet connection, and a set of speakers. The kit itself takes care of all the bits and pieces to complete the project.

I received the Project Genius Light Kit along with a little note instructing us how to access the online video. The process itself is approximately 45 minutes long and the video lessons give a step-by-step instructions of both the “how” and the “why.” The kit makes a simple LED circuit system. It came with a breadboard (no, not that kind!), a battery holder, enclosure box, AA batteries, wires, screws, resistors, and an LED light.
The age recommendation for this kit is 7-12. However, you will see in just a moment that boys of varying ages had fun with this one.
A subscriptions is $18.95 per month for a 5 month subscription which includes free shipping. You can sign up for an account and watch for the videos all for free. (Love the free stuff!)
How We Used It

Josiah and his cousin, Chris (who is 16) really enjoyed this project. I want to show you some of their big fun.

It was like Christmas when the boys opened up the project box! All those cool parts. They watched the video that explained all the bits and pieces and checked off to make sure they had everything they needed.


First off, it was really easy for the boys to navigate the website The videos were good quality. I felt like I could even keep up with all of the electrical mumbo jumbo! And that, my friends, is quite a feat!

The videos don’t just give a simple “how to.” The videos are separated into Question, Activity and Learn sections.


Here is a screen shot of one of the interactive quiz questions. 

I have to tell you that Chris (who is 16) had a blast with this project. He watched the videos more than once and completed the project several times.


Chris and Josiah had a good time taking turns. One of the great things about this project is that they could take it apart and do it as many times as they wanted to.


Even Papa (my electrical engineer Dad) had to check it out.


Let there be light!


Here are a few thoughts
  • My Hands-On learner loved this project. The videos were great, but having that hands on experience with the project kit was tremendous.
  • Despite my lack of any practical and useful skills, I want Josiah to have a good working knowledge of even the most basic electronics among other things. EEME provides a great way to learn. I don’t have to be an expert at something to provide Josiah the tools he needs to explore that “something.” EEME is a fantastic tool.
  • I think this would be a terrific gift for some curious young person.
  • I suggest you sign up to access the FREE video curricula. You can also shoot off an email to dad@eeme.com for the latest promotional offer (just tell him that Rebekah from There Will Be A $5 Charge For Whining sent you).

You can read other reviews at the TOS Crew Blog.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *