Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Only 24 Hours in a Day? From the Diaries of a Fruity Homeschool Momma





This week I'm sharing some Real Life Homeschooling. At least, what happened during one week of our homeschool. These posts are not meant to educate. I can't tell you how to do it "right." So I am not even going to begin to try. This is just life. 

Dear Diary,

It’s Tuesday. Tuesday. I really love Tuesdays. On Tuesdays we have no place we have to be. On Tuesdays I can get finish unfinished projects. I can tackle the laundry pile. The chances of needing to serve my family cold cereal and Ramen is greatly diminished.

Our School Day becomes "let's do everything that I have pinned on pinterest last week" (within reason).  We create a page for the State Notebook. We do art. We discuss lofty and important things. Such as; world peace, limited government and the cool battle scenes in the newest Hobbit movie.  

I can rest in the fact I won’t have to step my Big Toe out of front door unless we (a) choose to see a cheap movie at the Dollar Movie or (b) we have an alien invasion from outer space (which in that case I’m getting out of the neighborhood ASAP. I think there has to be a few in my neighborhood anyway.

This morning started with breakfast. As it does every morning. I also grabbed something out of the freezer for supper and made up an assignment sheet.

Don’t remind me that I had neglected doing that the night before. I was too busy living it up with the Duggars and recovering from my crazy day out.

I meant to scrub my kitchen down a little bit this morning, but wound up lounging in my bed with The Muffin and Josiah. We had a devotion and then guys looked up Michael Phelps doing The Butterfly on Youtube.  Josiah is struggling to keep his form across the pool. I told him that perhaps laying off a Peanut Butter Cup before practice might help. He looked at me like I had lost my mind. I guess athletes need carbs? I even look at said Peanut Cup and start gaining weight.

Today we had fun working with Pastels. Our Cartoon Cats were waaay cute. 


If I do say so myself. This cat actually resembles one we had when I was a teenager. I recognize that look.


Math was a little more frustrating today. Why is that the boy can only remember his math facts if they are connected to a NFL football game? We just keep plugging along. One of these days he's going to appreciate I made him do math (though I can't even believe I am saying that!)

Every Spring Josiah wants to study storms. I suppose it’s natural. We do live in Tornado Alley and he has become quite our young weatherman. Some of his library books this week dealt with storms. He also watched some of one of his favorite storm documentaries on Netflix. This year I am requiring him to do a presentation on what he has learned. I think he can do it. If it’s more than “these storms are dangerous” I’ll be satisfied. Today he came up with the brilliant plan of doing a bit of weather chasing this spring. Huh. Not on my watch. 

Last week he had to complete a report on the North American Bison. He wound up writing his favorite football teams around the border of the report. I'm saving all of these precious bits and pieces to torment him when he becomes a father, himself.



Josiah also made a pan of brownies this afternoon. Every so often I try and buy a mix to keep under the cabinet. It is not my favorite form of nutrition, but Josiah can create them all on his own. He also could eat it all on his own if I let him.  I tried to ignore them. Don't tell anybody, Dearest Diary, but I think I might actually could have snuck just a little piece. Maybe. Kinda. Sorta. 

Dear Diary. It is now time for me to admit my big “OOPSie.” This week the author, Lois Lowry, is visiting our fair city for a book signing. I was sure it was tonight. I even laid out my “book signing outfit” as opposed to the stretchy pants I was sporting.

I’m sure glad I rechecked the time. The book signing is actually Thursday night.

Big stink.

Maybe I need to pay a little more attention to my calendar.

I always have so much hope for Tuesdays. I didn’t even crack the surface of my Tuesday list.  Every Tuesday I am reminded that I really need a few more Tuesdays in my week. 

Until tomorrow.








 Discover real life in other homeschools with the Schoolhouse Review Crew bloggers! Join the blog hop to read more!


Real Life Homeschool Blog Hop

4 comments:

  1. Tuesdays are our stay home and get things done day!! I hope lots of 'hopes' for tuesdays too!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thursdays are my favorite... I can relate!

    Also, I'm loving your Real Life Homeschool posts. It helps to know that we're not the only ones somewhere in between video games 24/7 and Spelling Bee Champions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tuesday is typically our stay home day too, it's so nice to be able to relax, just one day a week.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this, Rebekah! And today was my stay at home day too. Did I accomplish everything? No way. I love your honesty and humor. Thanks for sharing, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *