Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Books to Read (or Just write a letter)

 

Hello, my friends! 

We just got back from a short trip to Indiana for a visit with The Muffin's folks. 

Which means I ate entirely too much. Nobody keeps a pantry stocked like my Mom-in-Law. 

I did get quite of bit of knitting done. And I read...which is always my favorite past time. 

I wanted to share a few I've read recently and one that I've loved forever. All of them follow a unique storytelling pattern. I also have included the links for you on Amazon. I am NOT an affiliate. I just wanted to provide you all the pertinent information.  

Have you ever heard of Daddy-Long-Legs

Fred Astair and Leslie Caron star in the movie version released in 1955. However, long before I ever saw the movie I read the book by Jean Webster. And no. I am not that old. 

I just read old books! 

In the story, a young orphan is given an opportunity to leave the orphanage to go away to school. In exchange, she must write regularly to her benefactor (whom she has never met). 

The story is told through these letters that Judy writes to her "Daddy-Long-Legs." It is charming and the ending doesn't disappoint. I think it is perfectly appropriate for young and old romantics alike. 

A book I just recently read was actually inspired by Daddy-Long-Legs. In Dear Mr. Knightly, a young woman with a troubled past is given a grant for a prestigious journalism program. In exchange, she is asked (you guessed it) to write to her unknown benefactor. I was pleasantly surprised with this book. It is Christian fiction and contains those themes of grace and forgiveness that are the cornerstones of our faith. It is also really well-written. I look forward to reading more from Katherine Reay. 

Another favorite this summer was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.It is set after WW II so I immediately was drawn in by the history. This story also uses the same letter-writing method in telling the story. The story centers around an author, Juliet Ashton, who is looking for the subject for her next book. She begins correspondence with a cast of colorful characters. It was such a delightful read. It was one of those books that ended just right. 

The book was written by an aunt and her niece. The aunt has since passed away. Sadly, this was her first and only book. The niece (Annie Barrows) also writes children's books. 


Happy Reading! I am off to tuck my lovies into bed (as much as my "lovies" will let me) and run myself a hot bath. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *