Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Web Design (by CompuScholar, Inc.) Homeschool Review Crew


When sure live in a different world when I was my son’s age, ya’ll.

I don’t even remember there being a computer-related elective when I was back in High School, something-something years ago. A TERRIFIC benefit to homeschooling (there are many) is that we can really focus on our student’s interests. And I am not the only one who has a child who fascinated with the wide world web. Josiah (and me!) has been reviewing Web Design from CompuScholar, Inc.



Before I even get into the “bells and whistles” of the course, you need to know that I had nefarious motives when I requested to be put on this review. For one, I know enough about the setup of my blog to be dangerous.  I would like a bit more control over the whole thing. AND my momma is getting ready to retire. One of her goals is to set up a website for her thriving art business. She wants this girl to figure the whole thing out.

Momma doesn’t want much.

So you can see why this course came right on time.

The course covers fundamental web design. It teaches students how to create web pages using HTML5, CSS3, and JavaScript.

·         Basic web site layout

·         HTML5 symbols and elements

·         Text styles

·         Hyperlinks and navigation bars

·         CSS effects, spacing and positioning

·         Graphics and image editing

·         Tables

·         Page design principles

·         Dynamic menus

·         Embedded audio and video

·         JavaScript and jQuery

It is intended to be used for 36 weeks (over the course of a school year). Middle and High School Students are the target age for this course, but I think mom's who want to create Web Pages could use it, as well.
You don't have to be extremely computer savvy to take the course. There is an excellent support system, but I would personally start with their basic computer course (I'll mention that at the end) if you want something more on the lines of beginner computer skills.

To use the course you will need access to a web browser that is HTML5 compliant. Your computer will need to have Windows 7, 8 or 10 or Mac OS version 10.7 or higher for all you Mac people.

When I first signed up I was given a Teacher Login. I received a Course Overview that included a grade book, tutorials, professional development and the ability to manage my student’s page. The professional development area contains videos on how to use the Electronic Grade-Book, How to get Help and more bits and pieces that you might need.
You can see the whole course outline here.



How We Used It


This course is super simple to navigate. Josiah is dyslexic and my concern for any curriculum that we use is that it is manageable and adaptable for him. Each lesson contains a video, lesson text and quiz.  I found that it was necessary to use both the video and lesson text to really understand the quiz material.
A screenshot of my teacher's page for Lesson Two in Chapter 1.

The quizzes are multiple choice and allows the user to immediately know his or her result. Each quiz allows you a maximum of three attempts. This is quite helpful if you have a student that needs more time with the material.

A screenshot of the video screen for Lesson Two - Chapter 1


There is also an exam after each chapter. I do need to tell you that there is a Teacher’s Guide on your page so you can have a good overview of each lesson.

We have been working through the course one lesson per week. I consider this a great speed for an elective course. Josiah looks forward to the lesson. The videos are short and to the point. I do provide the lesson text for him, but highlight anything I think he needs to focus on so he is not overwhelmed.

Here is the lesson text. It is important to me that the sections are shorter and the page isn't filled with a bunch of  filler.


Not only is the subject matter something he can use far into the future, but the course itself is easy to implement into our homeschool day. It is very professionally done and I haven’t had any difficulties managing it from my end.

A portion of the quiz for Lesson Two - Chapter 1.


As for me, I have been working through the lessons (minus the quiz activities) and feel that I have a better handle on the web design world. I look forward to continuing my journey.

I am considering adding the Computer Skills Class – Digital Savvy to Josiah course work. He can find is way around fairly well, but the folks at CompuScholar, Inc. do a much better job at it than I can.

Check it out!

You can connect with CompuScholar, Inc. at the following social media outlets. Don’t forget to click on the banner below for more review. Just a note. You might have heard about Homeschool Programming. CompuScholar, Inc. is the same company, but is in the process of rebranding themselves under their new name.
Homeschool Programming
Facebook – www.facebook.com/HomeschoolProgramming
Twitter – https://twitter.com/HSProgramming   @hsprogramming

CompuScholar, Inc
https://www.facebook.com/CompuScholar
https://twitter.com/CompuScholar   @compuscholar






Crew Disclaimer
Digital Savvy, Web Design & Java Programming {CompuScholar,Inc Reviews}

2 comments:

  1. Świetny post Chciałbym podziękować za wysiłek włożony w napisanie tego interesującego i merytorycznego artykułu. tworzenie stron internetowych

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *