Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Internship for High School Credit (Homeschool Review Crew)

It’s true. I have a high-schooler. I know! It won’t be too long before my young man will be charting the course for his life and career. Have you ever heard of internships? I just got a chance to review Internshipfor High School Credit from Apologia Educational Ministries.

Internship for High School Credit
I have reviewed quite a number of products from Apologia Educational Ministries over the years. They do good work. They are probably most known for their Creation-based sciences, but they have lots of great stuff that will bless a homeschool family.

This book is a brand new resources. It is written by Sherri Seligson and provides step by step help in planning and implementing a successful internship. It is not only a guidebook, but it’s a workbook for both parents and students.

Let me break it down for you.

Part I: Getting Started
This section helps the student choose what sort of internship he or she would like to undertake. It also includes how write a resume and prepare for the interview.

Part II: Information for Parents
This section is specifically for parents. It deals with how to document transcripts and helps you figure out the credits and grading during an internship.

Part III: First Semester
This sections contains worksheets for evaluating and documenting.

Part IV: Second Semester
This section contains MORE worksheets. They are just specific to the end of the year concerns and things to think about it.

Part V: Course Wrap-Up
This teaches students how to write thank you notes, etc. There is a final writing assignment involved, as well.

How We Used It

Now Josiah isn’t quite ready for an internship. However, I would love to help him prepare for one in future. I think it’s a fabulous and innovative way to introduce students to a possible career.

In some ways, I think it would be helpful for all students to do an internship in a career field they are interested in. For example, I had no aspirations to be a teacher when I was younger. It wasn’t something that wasn’t even on my radar. It wasn’t until I started working at a preschool when I was a young woman that I realized I had a knack and that in turn changed my educational goals and plans.

There are so many practical suggestions and helps. For example, there is a list of what bring to an interview. There are also some helpful hints going into the interview. Being on time? Yes! Sit up straight and appear interested? Yes!

I found the chapter with information especially for parents to be extremely helpful. It provides labor laws and upon reading this particular section I found out that states don’t allow minors to perform dangerous jobs. Which takes Josiah’s desire to work as intern with a storm chasing outfit off the table.

For those of who are anxious about assign High School credit for the course there are guidelines.

The worksheets included in the course cover a variety of topics. For example, there is a question about work attire. Another question requires the student to think critically about the career field they are interning in. Is it a fit? Does that student possess that necessary spark of passion it takes to pursue that particular career? The student is also asked to ask his or her supervisor for constructive feedback.

Farther along in the internship, students are write about any victories or struggles during the internship. They are also encouraged to view any unpleasant experiences as a way to grow spiritually.

I LOVE that!

Included towards the end of the book are forms meant to be filled out by the supervisor. There is also helps with writing a thank you letter to employs and how to approach the supervisor for letter of recommendation.

Of course, I haven’t listed everything included in the book, but I hope I have shared with you enough tidbits to spark your interest. This is an EXCELLENT resource.

You can connect with Apologia via the following social media outlets. Don't forget to click on the banner to read more reviews.





Homeschool with Confidence & Internship for High School {Apologia Educational Ministries Reviews}
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *