Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Rigid Wrap and CelluClay Quik Sculpt Starter Kit (A Homeschool Review Crew Post)

In my opinion one can never have too many art supplies. My momma raised me right. A home is not a home without a ridiculous amount of books OR art supplies. I’m always anxious to add more fun products to the mix. For the past few weeks we have been playing (and reviewing) the Rigid Wrap and CellulClay Quik-Sculpting Kit from ACTÍVA Products.

Rigid Wrap and CelluClay Quik-Sculpting Kit

We received:

Two rolls of Rigid Wrap plaster cloth
8 ounces of CelluClay
Instructions for 12 craft projects
Included as an option for with project ideas was an eBook (FREE), ACTÍVA Products' Favorite Sculpture KIDS CRAFTS .

Before I share a few of our projects, I do need to tell you this. I am NOT that Mom who is afraid of making a mess. It’s the preschool and kindergarten teacher in me. I think it’s good for kids who have those icky, tactile experiences. However…if you are one that stresses over a messy craft project THIS product might just save your life. As it is, I LOVED it.

One of the best things about this kit was that it required me to simple add water. That’s it! Of course, to finish the projects we brought out the paint, but there were not special ingredients or recipes for me to dig up.

So what is this wonder product, you ask?

The Rigid Wrap looks like a roll of bandages. It is coated in plaster. All you need to is to cut it in whatever shape or length you want it and soak it warm water. Then you apply it to whatever surface or form you wish. It does dry quickly, which makes it perfect for those grand paper mache projects. Think piñata or super volcano.




CelluClay is dry and powdery. You add water to create your desired consistency. You can also add glitter or sand to make it real fun. It takes a little longer than the Rigid Wrap to dry, but you can obviously make more substantial sculptures with it.

We played around with both products, but I have to tell you that the Rigid Wrap was my absolute favorite. It is almost addicting. Pretty soon I was looking for things to wrap. As a result, the projects I am going to share with you today both are made from the Rigid Wrap.

Josiah and I first looked through the eBook. There are a lot of fun projects, but Josiah decided he wanted to make beads. This was SOOOO simple. He cut off strips of the Rigid Wrap, soaked them in warm water and wrapped them around a straw. We let them dry overnight, but we could have easily added another layer within 15 or 30 minutes.

The next day he painted the beads. If I had dug around a little better in my craft supplies, I probably could have come up with a better choice of string.






Here is a few others that we have had yet to string.




So. My project was to be a take on the piece of cake (rhyming!) we found in the eBook.




 I have a cake pedestal sitting on an old dresser in my dining room that mostly sits empty…unless I’ve baked a cake to put in it. I decided I wanted to make a mini-layer cake to display year round.

I used the Rigid Wrap over styrofoam discs I found at the Dollar Tree. Easy as pie (or cake). It dried hard and sturdy. I tried to use the CelluClay to form frosting, but I didn’t care for the look. Instead I used some dimensional paint to create the designs and painted over the whole thing with some pearl acrylic paint.





I also decided not to decorate the top with anything that was permanent so I could change it out seasonally. 



While I decided to use the yellow flowers on top for now, I also tried red roses. I think this will be so cute for Valentine's Day! 



SO. MUCH. FUN.  The Rigid Wrap provided protection and the sturdiness that something like my cake needs. I'm trying cupcakes next! 




There are so many cool things to make with this product. I found the eBook to full of great ideas. And super appropriate for the homeschool crowd.  How fun would this sarcophagus be to make while studying Ancient Egypt? You can also make masks...anybody else thinking helmets and swords? 



You need to add this to your list of Homeschool Supplies for the coming year! 

You can connect with ACTÍVA Products via the following social media outlets. Don't forget to click on the banner below to read more reviews.



Rigid Wrap and CelluClay Quik-Sculpting Kit {ACTÍVA Products Reviews}
Crew Disclaimer

2 comments:

  1. Your cake is ADORABLE! You and your son did a great job - thanks for sharing your review with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We had so much fun with your product. Thank you for sharing it with us!

      Delete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *