Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Reading Eggs (A Homeschool Review Crew Post)

Years ago when I was struggling with teaching my dyslexic son to read, I came across a free trail of an online reading program called Reading Eggs. I can’t tell you the difference it made for us. We continued to use Reading Eggs for quite some time. I found that it had the perfect combination of fun, instruction and kitsch to give my guy the confidence he needed to read. I just had the chance to review all the current Reading Eggs bells and whistles and I can’t be more excited.

Reading Eggs*

I received a 6 month subscription to Reading Eggs. Before I move into my review you can get a FREE 4 week trail that is good through the end of November.



This is what Reading Eggs has to offer at this time.

Reading Eggs Junior (ages 2-4)
Reading Eggs (ages 4-7)
Reading Eggspress (ages 7-13)
MathSeeds (ages 3-9)

One tricks of the trade (so to speak) when working with my son over the years is the importance of keeping review and practice front and center. I can’t tell you how a product like Reading Eggs is invaluable to a struggling reader.

My review couldn’t come at a better time.  We chose to focus primarily on Reading Eggspress. I have noticed lately that Josiah’s reading comprehension skills have need some addressing.

Reading Eggspress works mainly with reading comprehension and vocabulary. Perfect for us at this time! The goal for the student is to earn as many Golden Eggs as possible. The Eggs can be used to purchased fun games, new items and trading cards to be used on the Reading Eggs site. 

To start with Josiah had to take a placement test. It took no time at all and put Josiah right where he needed to be.

Here is a screen shot of what Josiah sees when he plugs into  Reading Eggspress. You can see that there is a quiz waiting his attention!



The English Skills has all kinds of Spelling lessons. They are primarily lessons with questions and tests for extra practice.

The Stadium contains fun games. You can chose what to work on.


This is a screenshot of one of the Usage games.


I don't have screenshots of the Lessons themselves. They are a combination of Lessons, games, quizzes...covering all the things that are important for developing good English skills.

The next section is one of my favorites. The Library! You can either search or browse for a book or move the mouse around to find a certain of genre of book.



Here is a look of one of the bookshelves.


 At the bottom of the book title it will tell you all you need to know about each book. This little shot is from The Christmas Carol.
 The book has narration for those kiddos who are struggling readers. There are quizzes within the reading and the little side icons allow the student to save his or her place in the book and share reviews...among other things. You can assign books to read daily along with the reading in the daily assignments.
 Under the Target tab you can set and keep track of goals. I love this! I find my son is more goal oriented than I anticipated.




In addition to the Reading Eggspress program we also poked around the Math Seeds. I LOVE THIS! I wish it would have been part of Reading Eggs when Josiah was a lot younger. I have been having him make him work through it for review. I believe it is making a difference. 

AND for all you homeschoolers out there! Reading Eggs has just come out with a Program Guide for grades K-2. It provides a 36 week sequence in all core subjects; math, language, arts, science and social studies. 

What a great feature. 

So here we come to it. Out of nearly everything I have ever reviewed, I can't say enough GOOD things about Reading Eggs...especially if you have a struggling reader. Josiah even told me he wishes ALL of his schoolwork was like Reading Eggs. 


Go. Go now! Start that free trial. 

In the meantime, you can connect with Reading Eggs via the following social media outlets. Don't forget to click on the banner below to read more reviews. 

•   Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/readingeggsUSCA/ 
•   Instagram (handle): readingeggs 
•   Twitter: https://twitter.com/readingeggs @readingeggs
•   Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/readingeggs/ 
•   YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ABCReadingEggs



Reading Eggs
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *