Wednesday, November 30, 2011

I Have A 10-year-old!

I'm sick. Nothing life threatening. Just enough a cold to make me feel miserable. And forget what day this is. I should be napping. Or something like that. Instead I blog.

My little guy turned 10 just a few days ago. I'm not sure if I'm ready for double digits, yet. He's worried that he won't like playing with toys for too much longer. His daddy assured him that he will always like playing with "toys," but that they will just change a little. I have to say that worries me a little bit!

We adopted Josiah when he was just 2 weeks old. Actually, we got custody of him when he was 2 weeks old and formally adopted him when he was just a little over 6 months old (after the required waiting period was over). I had struggled with infertility and some really serious health issues. I really wasn't supposed to have a baby, but I got pregnant in the summer of 2001. Big surprise! But our joy quickly turned to heartache. I lost the baby just a few months later. We also had an adoption attempt fail at the same time. We had been married for 10 years. Josiah was simply a miracle. And he's been a joy ever since.

I have several pictures of him when we got him. But as my brain is in some sort of medically included fog, I'll just share some of my favorites I had on hand.

You will have to excuse the quality of the next few pictures. They were studio pictures and these are the proofs. Still. Can you believe how gorgeous this baby is? This is just a few days after his adoption was final. He appeared in court in this outfit. I think the judge was properly impressed.


This is my favorite of his baby pictures. I think I'll go pinch Josiah's cheeks right now...just because. He might be 10, but he is still my baby.  I melt.


A little older. Still as cute as he can be. That was our miniature weenie dog, Bogey.


He's always been quite the snazzy dresser. I'm a bit worried about Josiah's current style.



Dirt has become his favorite accessory.


But he has always been his own man. boy. fella. 


He is quite creative. And very much the adventurer. And makes me laugh every day.


And everyday I am reminded how blessed Troy and I are. How wonderful this Gift is.


If my head wasn't filled with snot and I was capable of forming a proper sentence, I would tell you how adoption utterly changed my life. And how every time I see the adoption processes trivialized or marginalized or even threatened (especially in pop culture)  I wilt inside. We would do it again if the opportunity presented itself. I can't imagine my life without this boy. This wonderful, funny, smart, quirky boy.

Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *