Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Fried Rice

It's Wednesday. And it's a beautiful day. But just because it's a Wednesday and a Beautiful Day does it mean that it's a Beautiful Wednesday. Hah! I need a little help.

Anyhoo. I thought I would share this very, very easy recipe with you. I didn't make it this week. A couple of weeks ago I did a blog post on using leftovers and other inexpensive ingredients to make a yummy Asian dinner (Vegetarian Egg Foo Yung). It was truly Delish, but in that post I also talked about making fried rice with leftover bits and pieces. And that is precisely what I did with this easy supper.


The beauty of this dish is that you can make it any way you want it. There are just a few things you have to remember. Cold Rice. That is the biggie.  When I make a pot of rice for any meal I generally make more than I really need. That way I have a nice size serving of Rice to make into a whole different meal. I have an almost full proof way to cook rice.

Okay. Since you twisted my arm I am going to give you my recipe for perfectly steamed rice. Keep in mind that this is for White rice. Brown rice is a different animal. Don't try the same technique...you will be sadly disappointed.

Measure 1 cup of Rice and 2 cups of water into a medium sauce pan. You can double or triple this recipe as you need to. Just remember that to use a 2.1 (water/rice) ratio every time. Add a dash of salt and place on medium low heat. When your pot begins to boil turn down the heat to low, put a lid on it and let it cook for 10 minutes. In fact, just go set your timer for 10  minutes and forget about it. When the time is up turn off your heat and let your rice just sit (with the lid on) until it's ready to serve. You might have to play with your particular stove adjustments to get it right. I have an electric stove. I put my burner on about a 4 or 5 to boil, then turn it down to a 3.

After I use whatever I am going to use my rice for I stick the leftovers in a plastic container so I can use it again.

On this day I decided I wanted to make a very simple fried rice. I had some leftover ham, pineapple and green onions. I, of course, wanted to add eggs...they are a good protein for the dish. And soy sauce. This is my new bottle. It's to die for. I also always add fish sauce. Don't be scared. Fish sauce is a wonderful ingredient. But for some reason on this day the fish sauce didn't make it into the picture. Oh and the garlic! You know I must have garlic!


Here's a good tip. Especially for Asian cooking. Do all of your chopping, dicing and whacking before you start cooking. Pretend you are on the Food Network and put all of your odds and ends in cute little bowls. I didn't want to wash that many dishes so all of my odds and ends are sharing space on the cutting board.


If you are using raw meat (chicken, bacon,etc.) cook them up first. Also any of your raw veggies...like carrots or onions. I had green onions on this day, but often I just use a plain ole white one. For this pan of Fried Rice I sauteed my ham and then added the pineapple and green onion. I put in a few good shakes of soy sauce and fish sauce and then scooted everything to the side. I made good use of my big ole skillet by cooking my eggs right along side. Put your eggs in the pan and give them a good scramble. I normally make my scrambled eggs pretty fluffy, but when they are hidden in a stir fry I don't care as much.

Here is another big tip. Make sure your pan is HOT! My wok is spending a few years in storage, but I rely on my big ole skillet. Hot! Hot! Hot!

Not a great picture I know. But you get the idea.


After all of my odds and ends were cooked I then added my rice. I just used my big ole spoon and separated any chunks. And then I just stirred and stirred. Now is the time to add more soy and fish sauce and any pepper if you are using it. I don't use salt in this recipe. The soy sauce is salty enough.


Put it on a plate and serve it up!


I found this fortune cookies at The Dollar Tree.  It made for a nice little treat with our easy Fried Rice.


If you are still a little nervous about making your own Asian Takeout at home I suggest you look at a few Youtube videos. There are all kinds of at home cooks ready to show you their techniques.

Here is my (general) recipe for Fried Rice

2 cups of COLD leftover rice
just a bit of oil
Leftover bits of meat (chicken, shrimp, bacon, pork chops, ham, steak)
Odds and ends of veggies (carrots, peas, broccoli, cabbage are some of my favs...I used pineapple)
1/2 onion, chopped or 3-4 green onions, chopped
soy sauce
fish sauce
2 eggs
2 cloves of garlic
a shake or two of pepper

Chop all that needs chopping...onions, meat, veggies....and set aside. Put your wok or big ole skillet on High heat. After the skillet is nice and hot add your oil. Saute meat, veggies and onion in the pan. Add a couple shakes of soy sauce and fish sauce. Pull to the side and then scramble up your eggs. Stir everything together then add the rice. Break up any large chunks and stir and stir and stir. Add a few more shakes of soy sauce and fish sauce and a few shakes of pepper. Taste to see if you need any more soy sauce or fish sauce. Feed it to your family.


Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *