Saturday, July 19, 2014

A Book Review: Diary of a Real Payne: Church Camp Chaos



Last year, I was blessed to review Diary of a Real Payne Book 1: True Story. Josiah and I absolutely loved it. We laughed so hard. EJ (the heroine of the book) is quite the character. 

A few months ago, Diary of a Real Payne Book 2: Church Camp Chaos arrived in the mailbox for us to review. 

I don’t know about you, but my Church Camp memories are some of the most precious of my life. The church camp I attended in my elementary and middle school years was one of those “old school” church camps, complete with an outdoor tabernacle. My High School years were spent at a campground only slightly upgraded. I remember visiting my old campground the first year after it had undergone a major renovation. They had air conditioning! Something is wrong with that picture. Is it camp if you get to sleep in an air-conditioned dorm? 

Enough of my rambling. Here is a little more about the book. 

About Church Camp Chaos
    In this second fabulous release in the Diary of a Real Payne series you ll find yourself ROTFL as EJ is more than ready to be done with Ms. “Picky Pickerington, CoraLee McCallister, and fourth grade in general. Hello sunshine, hello 11th birthday party, hello. . .CAMP! It s EJ s first summer to spend an entire week at Camp Christian: friends, swimming, bunk beds, games, campfires, s mores, hiking, and even a gigantic zip line. In classic EJ form, she dreams up even more fantastic adventures for herself—promising colossal fun as you become part of her daydreams in Church Camp Chaos!

About Annie Tipton (who has to be my sister from another mother)….

    Annie Tipton made up her first story at the ripe old age of two when she asked her mom to write it down for her. (Hey, she was just two–she didn’t know how to make letters yet!) Since then she has read and written many words as a student, newspaper reporter, author, and editor. Annie loves snow (which is a good thing because she lives in Ohio), wearing scarves, sushi, Scrabble, and spending time with friends and family.

Once again, Annie Tipton had me rolling.  One of the best things about Annie’s books is that while EJ (Emma Jean) is a “character” and occasionally finds herself in trouble, any bad behavior isn’t condoned as “cool” or “admirable.” Everything leads back to God’s grace. What does God say about how we treat others? How do we take our troubles do God? This is the kind of book I want Josiah in Josiah’s hands and heart. 

Josiah enjoyed reading about EJ and her adventures. He was especially curious about chicken pox. He hasn’t had them. He got a vaccine when he was little. Occasionally, he has come to me (after reading the book) and asked me to check out a spot. I think he’s hopeful. 

So I know many of you have young campers returning from church camp right now. I think this would be a perfect book for the family to enjoy. The intended ages for this books is 8-12, but I am 42 and it fit me just fine.  Diary of A Real Payne Book 2: Church Camp Chaos is on sale for $4.49.  












No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *