Monday, February 20, 2017

When Momma's Having a Bad Day (12 things to do)

We’ve all had those days.

Those days where it would have been best just to have stayed in bed.

Unfortunately, for most of us, indulging in a Netflix-binge-watching-day under the covers just isn’t possible.

And, as much as I would love this, I don’t have a “spa day” in my near future.

Sometimes we just ‘gotta’ deal. Our families deserve a more pleasant version of ourselves.



So I’m bringing out my favorite tricks to get me through “one of those days.” Sometimes it’s just a matter of regrouping. Other days I need to distract myself from life. Then there are those days I simply need to channel my stress into something else besides yelling/throwing small objects/raging against the world.

We can do this.

1.       Take a good soak in the tub. I can’t recommend this enough. You might be more of a shower person.  I, however, appreciate the therapeutic effects of a hot bath. I like to use Dr. Teal’s Epsom Salt with just a few drops of lavender in my bath.  The benefits of Epsom Salt are just astounding. Dr. Axe has a great article on the Epsom Salt miracle. 

2.       Read a good book. I know you have heard me talk about this before. Here are a few I always go back to.

Chicken Every Sunday: My Life with Mother’s Boarders by Rosemary Taylor
Pioneer Girl: An Annotated Autobiography (Laura Ingalls Wilder, Pamela Smith Hill)
The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin (keep your Kleenex close)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows
The Blue Castle by Lucy Maud Montgomery
The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis (I could care less that these are considered books for kids. They are still some of my favorites. We all need stories of evil being defeated and happy endings)

Just a note: I also suggest turning a portion of the day into a 'read aloud.' And YOU don't have to be the reader. There are many wonderful books on CD. In fact, there are many that have found their way on to Youtube if you are in a pinch or can't find one you think your kiddos will like. Some of Josiah's favorite audio books are actually audio dramas. I have the entire collection of audio dramas from Heirloom Audio. I also have several from Focus on the Family. They are all excellent. 

3.       Color. You heard me. Bring out those colors, find you a comfy spot and color. I have had many extended stays in a hospital or sick bed. I can’t tell you how relaxing I found it just to color. You don’t have to think too hard when you color. You just have to make something pretty.

I do have a few free Zendoodle downloads you can check out. Print them out. Color to your hearts content. You can find one here and another one here.

4.       Have a dance party. There are just some days you need to shake it off. Put on some music and dance. Your kiddos will love it.

5.       Fix a cup of hot tea. This is my momma’s answer for almost anything. She is also responsible for making me believe that a hot bath will solve most woes. I think she’s right. Make sure that you have a tea collection worthy of brewing. Did you know that there are certain calming properties in chamomile? Or that Oolong tea promotes weight loss? Oh, yes. I can hear your kettle singing now.

6.       Pull out a journal and list at least 5 things you are grateful for. Put things in perspective.

7.       Watch something funny. We enjoy comedies that are tame. The Muffin is a big fan of Jerry Lewis. We also enjoy the comedy stylings of Tim Hawkins. If you aren’t familiar with Mr. Hawkins, I suggest looking him up on youtube. My personal suggestion is the Gods Must Be Crazy (circa 1980). This is a favorite from my childhood. I showed this movie to Troy when we first got married. It was like revealing a precious family secret. He wasn’t as impressed.

8.       Take a turn in the garden. Or the yard. Or the parking lot. Let some sunshine or at least the great outdoors permeate your soul. Take a walk if you have time.

9.       Unplug from technology for an hour. It’s only an hour.  One hour without depressing news, Facebook drama and emoticons.  You can do it.

10.   Put on something cute. Get dressed up for no reason whatsoever. If you are like me…the stretchiness of your pants mirror the “stressyness” of your day.

11.   Is your house a mess or overwhelming? Throw away 5 things right now. Don’t ask questions. Just make sure they aren’t important documents. Been there. Done that.

12.   Meditate on a favorite verse or sing a hymn.  I like to bring out Psalm 91 when I need encouraging. My hymns of choice would be He Leadeth Me and It is Well With My Soul.



So my friends. Don’t let that bad day conquer you! Try a few of my tricks. They may not change the world, but they may help you change your mind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *