Monday, March 2, 2020

My 10 FAVORITE Foods (30 Day Blog Challenge)

I did it. I forgot.

I missed Day Whatever for my 30 Day Blog Challenge.



But never fear...I am up to continue. And I literally mean....up.

Yesterday was Sunday (the busiest day for Pastors and their families). We had our annual business meeting last night. I cam home. Ate some supper. Made my nightly cup of hot chocolate. Took a bath and read myself to sleep.

At some point, I woke up and remembered my forgotten blogpost. 

Oh well. It's now Monday morning. Josiah and I are heading to co-op and some errand running.

I thought I'd get this one done before we head out. It should be simple.

It's about FOOD.

Yep. My 10 favorite foods. Keep in mind that most of these are foods I am presently not enjoying daily. Can we say carb coma?

1. Springfield Style Cashew Chicken 

Yes. There is a difference between traditional cashew chicken and the Springfield, MO version. This one has almost a gravy poured over crispy chicken chunks and sprinkled with cashews and green onions. My favorite place to get Cashew Chicken in Cashew Inn and Out in Nixa, MO. This was the happening place in my teen years. It's still doing great business. We used to scrounge for change and order the Junior size that was priced under $2.

2. Sushi

I LOVE Sushi. I especially loved Tuna Rolls. There is a place in Terre Haute called Umi that is my favorite spot for Birthdays and Anniversaries. The Tuna Roll is made with RAW tuna.  It is delish.

3. Lemon Meringue Pie

This pie is filled with creamy lemony goodness and topped with a meringue. Nothing beats the meringue my aunts make. It is literally a mile high. They toast it so that the meringue becomes golden and a bit crunchy in spots on top.

4. Cheesecake

My favorite cheesecake is the one our dear friend, Carol, made for our wedding rehearsal dinner. This cheesecake has all kinds of dairy products blended in. It is baked in the oven in a springform pan and left to sit in the oven for 2 hours after it's cooked. The best thing is that you can make this dessert low carb. It's is wonderful.

5. My Mom's French Chicken

I have a recipe for it somewhere on my blog. This is the dish I requested for my birthdays when I was growing up. I am sure it straight from Julia Child. I am not sure of the actual French name. We just call it French Chicken.

6. Mashed Potatoes or French Fries. 

This should have simply said POTATOES. I can't have them very often, but I love them.

7. Spaghetti

Not just any spaghetti. It needs to be just a little spicy. I make my own sauce based from a recipe passed down by a bunch of Italian grandmothers. They are not my grandmothers. We don't have any Italian ancestry. This recipe is pretty simple. Maybe I'll share it someday. I like mine topped with parm, salt and pepper, and a pat of butter.

8. Bean Burritos

Thie Bean Burritos from Taco Bell made my Guilty Pleasures post. I can't tell you why they make me happy. But they do remind me of the fried burritos my mom used to make when we were kids. Except for the whole "fried" part.

9. My Mom's Butternut Squash with Fried Sage

This is another recipe I need to share one of these days. It is made of slices of butternut squash fried in butter and maple syrup. The fresh sage is fried in a separate pan and crumbled on top of the squash. My mom always manages to make it healthier. But you can't beat it anyway it's served up.

10. Ice Cream. All of it.

Obviously, there are a lot of choices to be had here. But I never met an ice cream I didn't like.  I had to pin it down I would say that my very favorite frozen treat is the frozen custard from Andy's located in Springfield, MO.  They make a Strawberry Shortcake Sundae in the summer that will make you weep tears of joy. The strawberries are fresh and the shortcake is the real thing.

That's it. At some point in this blog challenge, I will share some of my best HEALTHY favorites. I promise.

I've got to run! I've got to get the boy to co-op.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *