Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thanksgiving Recipes (part 1)




I am hosting Thanksgiving Dinner for my family this year. My house is little, but I don't mind squeezing everybody in. My parents are in the beginning stages of renovating their farm house and since I'm feeling much better I volunteered. I've also started making up my list of what to have. There are some things we just can't do without for Thanksgiving. Christmas we've always been a little more adventurous. That is with my side of the family...Troy's family has the same things...Christmas and Thanksgiving. We alternate Holidays. We went to Indiana our very first Christmas together...Troy's mom put on a spread, but what was amazing to me was how much she delegated out to a variety of pie shops, deli's, etc. My family (most of us wanna be amateur gourmets) made everything from scratch. I realize now that most of that was economical. I am not the pie maker in my family, but this year I will be attempting a few. Here are a few recipes that I have used year after year and I imagine will find their way to the family table once again.




Corn Casserole
This corn casserole recipe is to die for! There is nothing better than corn and cheese – together. This is a pretty rich recipe and can be totted faithful to any potluck supper or family dinner. And it is pretty! Plan on getting lots of compliments on this dish!

2 cans of cream-style corn
1 package of Jiffy Corn Mix
2 beaten eggs
1 tablespoon of milk
One-half cup of onions, chopped
One-fourth cup of butter
One-half pint of sour cream
One-half cup of grated cheddar cheese

Sauté chopped onions in butter. Mix corn, muffin mix, eggs and milk in a large casserole. Add onions and mix together. Dot with sour cream and add the grated cheese on top. Bake at 325 for 1 hour. This casserole raises so be sure to use a big casserole dish.

Not sure what to have with this dish? Try it with a tender pork loin or a juicy meatloaf. Accompany that with a potato (any style) and some slow cooked green beans. Mmm-Mmm!




Broccoli Tree Salad
I’m not sure if this is the right name for this salad, but every time my mom asks me to make it -this is what she calls it. Kind of like when she kept calling, “Hobby Lobby”-“Lobby Holly.” Anyway, this is a tasty salad with a lot of surprises. I have taken several recipes I have seen and kind of added everything I like together. It has the right amount of several good flavors.


Four cups of raw Broccoli (I just get the stuff already cut for you in the bag)
One pound of bacon, cooked and crumbled (be sure to use real bacon-bacon bits just don’t cut it!)
One-fourth cup of green onions, chopped
One-half cup of golden raisins
One-half cup of sunflower seeds
One cup of mayonnaise
One-half cup of sugar
One-half cup of red wine vinegar


Just dump everything in a big bowl (be sure to mix up you mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar in a separate little bowl first-this will let you get it good and stirred around-then add to the big bowl). Stir everything around really good and refrigerate for a little bit. Unless everyone in your house is opposed to “green stuff,” I guarantee this salad won’t last too long!

Superior Cheese Cake
This is the best cheese cake recipe on the planet. It was given to my mom when I was teenager by a dear friend who had moved from the East Coast (she also catered my wedding rehearsal dinner). We have been having it for birthdays and special occasions ever since. It seems like an awful lot of work, but it is well worth it. Plan a lot of time to cook it, because it has to stand in the oven for two hours after it is cooked.

1 pound of Cottage cheese, sieved
1 pound of Cream cheese
One and one-half cup of sugar
Four Eggs
One Tablespoon of lemon juice
One Teaspoon of vanilla
Three Tablespoons of flour
Three Tablespoons of cornstarch
One-fourth lb. Of butter, melted and cooled
One pint of sour cream


Cream cheeses and sugar together. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in lemon juice, vanilla, cornstarch and flour. Add melted butter and mix until smooth. Blend in sour cream. Pour into a greased 9-inch spring-form pan and bake 1 hour at 325. Turn off oven and let cake stand in oven for 2 hours, with door closed. Remove and cool thoroughly before removing sides of pan. It makes about 12 nice servings or more. Can be served with strawberry glaze, cherry pie filling or pineapple.


I will try and add a few more this week. I make my turkey a specific way (I might have already blogged about that) and my mom-in-law makes two special desserts every holiday that are absolutely delish.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *