Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Gazpacho

Today I made Gazpacho. Yummy! We have had lots '0 tomatoes coming from the garden. We put up almost 20 quarts over the weekend. We will probably have to put up more this weekend and I need to start drying some. In the meantime, we enjoyed this cold, super-healthy soup. Some might be too freaked by the amount of veggies in one bowl (let alone cold), but I find it refreshing and guilt-free.

4 cups of tomato juice
1 onion, minced (I used a red onion)
1 green bell pepper, minced (you could also use a milder yellow or red pepper)
1 cucumber, chopped
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced (I used 2)
3 T. fresh lemon juice
2 T red wine vinegar
1 or 2 T of fresh, chopped basil
1 tsp. sugar
salt and pepper to taste

In a blender (or food processor), combine everything! Blend until well-combined but still a little chunky. Chill at least 2 hours before eating. Don't bother seeding the cucumbers and tomatoes. I think that is extra work when you already have so much chopping to do. I also made California Wraps using spinach wraps, chicken and avocado.
I sent Troy to work with some tortilla chips just in case he felt like he needed to dip them in the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *