Monday, March 5, 2012

Meal Plan Monday



I'm linking this Meal Plan Monday to I'm An Organizing Junkie.

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley." (or No matter how well this girl plans something...look out! Something will happen to mess it all up). The line is from a Scots poem by Robert Burns. Like my paraphrase? Ain't it the truth! (while the poem comes from Scotland, the "Ain't" comes from my hillbilly upbringing).

Last week I planned what I considered to be a beautifully crafted Meal Plan. It was budget friendly and healthy. I carefully constructed it around bargains I had found, pantry items and some of my guy's favorite foods. I poured through recipe books, cooking websites...looking for those special combinations of ingredients. It was to be a triumphant week of meal planning glory.

Okay. It really wasn't that big of deal. I am prone to exaggeration. But it was a plan. And life stepped in. So life often comes in the form of "Buy A Big Mac Get 1 For .29" or "I don't feel like turning on the oven tonight let's heat up some hot dogs in the microwave." Don't tell me you haven't been there. Of course, I have dealt with the guilt of eating more calories in one sandwich than I normally have in a day. And, really, Microwaved hot dogs? I did toast the buns on top of the griddle....that was a bust. The Studly Muffin and Josiah requested that I never, ever do such a thing again. Apparently, they like their buns soggy.

I don't even like hot dogs that much.

Anyhoo. The point is that sometimes life gets crazy for one reason or another. Or people get sick. Or you decide that spending the evening making Tutu skirts (that is a topic for another post) more important than  making spaghetti for your family. How can one not be drawn to the magic of the Tutu Skirt.

So here is my Meal Plan for this week. It's healthy and budget friendly. And hopefully Big Mac proof.

Monday: Chicken Salad on ciabatta rolls. This is one of our late evenings. Swim lessons, family water aerobics. I picked up a deli chicken that was marked down. In mere minutes I am turning it into a fabulous chicken salad (because I have a fabulous chicken salad recipe). It simply has chicken, a little sour cream & mayo, a little bit of onion and celery and then an apple or a few grapes. I also usually add nuts of some sort. Salt and pepper and then a bit of lime juice. Yum.

Tuesday: Stuffed Turkey Peppers. Roasted Broccoli. I found a package of multi-colored peppers this morning at the grocery store. Put that with the Italian turkey sausage I have in my freezer and we get a delicious meal. The Studly Muffin loves these.

Wednesday: Crab Cakes, Potato Wedges and Corn. I don't have much of a recipe for these. I also need to make a disclaimer. I don't use real Crab. As if. I live in the Missouri Ozarks and have a grocery budget that is less than some people's Starbucks addiction. I am using the imitation crab (which is just white fish). I mix it with an egg, panko, a little onion, salt and pepper. Easy.

Thursday: Crockpot Bratwurst with Peppers. This is one I had planned for last week that got knocked out for a Big Mac.

Friday: Turkey Tenderloin, Mashed Potatoes, Asparagus. Family Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *