Sunday, May 19, 2013

A Girl in Red

I was at my mom's house this afternoon. As I stretched out on her spare bed I glanced at the bookshelf and saw this girl staring back at me.


It's been a while since I've seen her.

My parents have been retrieving stuff from their storage unit and this "dolled up" picture of me was among the treasures.

I was in my early 20's. I had just started to gain a little bit of weight and thought I was chunky looking. I didn't realize it was going to get worse.

I'm starting see bits of that girl again...though her skin is not as clear and there are a few more wrinkles. A girl can't live 41 years and not show a little wear.

I'm thinking that might be my natural hair color. Though I can't remember. My mom and I attended one of those make-up parties. The lady hosting also brought in a hair stylist, a photographer and some "costumes." 

It's tempting for me to go find a red feather boa and some big gold hoops, but in my part of town it might be taken for some sort of undesirable invitation.

What would I tell this girl if I could give her some advice? It's tempting to dwell on the regrets over the past 20 years. Instead I would pat her cheek, smooth down a stray curl and tell her that no matter what...just keep smiling.

P.S. After an almost 5 month plateau my weight is finally moving down again. Maybe I need be looking out for that red feather boa, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *