Wednesday, June 12, 2013

TOS Review: Go Fish For Ancient Egypt


Who doesn’t like a rousing game of Go Fish? It has certainly been a popular game in my home. Even as a child I can remember many thrilling games of Go Fish accompanied with bowl of popcorn and my mom’s homemade hot cocoa. 

Birdcage Press started with a mom who just wanted to create games to make learning more fun for her young children.  Any mom can relate to that! Josiah and I were given the opportunity to review Go Fish For Ancient Egypt.


What I Received 

Go Fish For Ancient Egypt -ages 7-adult) -$14.95
The set contains 36 playing cards and a 34 page book with facts.

How It Works

Go Fish For Ancient Egypt is a cool twist on a classic game. The cards are sturdy and beautifully done. They are divided up into 6 categories. Gods, Goddesses, Pharaohs, Mummies, The Afterlife and Symbols. Each category has 6 cards with a unique subject of interest within that category. All the cards assigned a number according to what category they are in.

 The cards themselves contain bit of information about the subject. For example, the Hieroglyphs card is in the Symbols category. All the Symbol cards are labeled with the number 3. The Hieroglyphs card gives a brief definition and then a little more information. At the bottom of the card are the 5 other cards in the Symbols category that the player needs to collect. In this case, they are the ANKH, SCARAB, SPHINK, URAEUS, and WEDJAT. The goal is to collect all the cards in each category. Two or Three players can enjoy the game. 


The Fact Book fits nicely inside a pocket within the box of cards. It contains a brief informative paragraph about all of the subjects introduced in the cards. It also includes a map, rules for playing the game and an activity using HIEROGLYPHS (Write like an Egyptian). 

How We Used It


I have to say that this is one of the most enjoyable reviews we’ve done.  We simply played Go Fish and learned about Ancient Egypt along the way. I have a special place in my heart for Egyptology. As a child, I was strangely fascinated by Archaeology. I wanted to be an archaeologist until I was a junior or senior in High School.  One of the first little books my parents gave me on the subject was a lovely little book about Ancient Egypt. I probably was 9 or 10. It was a well-loved book.

Anyhoo. 



We enjoyed the game so much that we rounded up Cousin Chris to play along. Chris is 16 and very much the Go Fish aficionado.  


Both boys, being the collectors of all things cool and strange, loved the idea of gathering all of the items within a particular category. Josiah was particular excited to collect all of the Mummies. 



I will say that initially Josiah struggled with the idea that he wasn't to match the cards themselves (as in the traditional Go Fish). It didn’t seem right to switch up the rules! But once he got the hang of it, he was hooked! I did help with some of the reading. Josiah is dyslexic and trying to sound out “Hatshepsut” was just a bit overwhelming. However, even more advanced readers will most likely find pronouncing some of the trickier terms daunting. Our hillbilly pronunciation caused many fits of giggles. 



I personally think the cards are beautiful to look at and the whole set up is nicely packaged. They would be a perfect addition to any study of Ancient Egypt. The TOS Crew reviewed other games as well as Go Fish For Ancient Egypt. They all look like a lot of fun! Though this product wasn’t one we reviewed, I have my eye on the Battle Cards: Aircraft. This looks like a game my “Battle anything” boy and my Air Force Vet husband would love to have.  

You can read more reviews at the Schoolhouse Review Crew Blog.




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *