Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A Book Review: The Promise Box





I recently had the opportunity to review The Promise Box by Tricia Goyer. 

The Promise Box is about a young woman, Lydia, who comes home to attend her mother’s funeral. She was raised Amish, but left her community years ago for the Englisch life.

While she is home, Lydia discovers a box filled with prayers and scripture her mother left for her. As she starts to reevaluate her life, Lydia begins to question the choice she made to leave the Amish community in the first place. 

Of course, there is Gideon. He is a young Amish man who has a story of his own.  Over time Lydia and Gideon begin to fall in love with each other. But will their secrets keep them apart? 

Dun Dun Dun! 

I love those stories that have a little mystery and intrigue. I also love that Lydia, our heroine, is adopted. Being an adoptive parent myself, I had a soft spot in my heart for Lydia immediately. I also was extremely inspired by her mother’s Promise Box. It made me think of what I am leaving for my son.

Gideon's story was especially poignant. I won't give anything away, but I have to say I didn't expect the revelation.
 
This book was beautiful written. I also love that it is one I can pass on to my teenage nieces. Some romance novels are just a bit much. This had all the angst one must feel while reading a romantic story, but none of the “ickyness.” 

And of course, this book is sure to be a hit with all of those who love a good Amish novel. The Promise Box is actually a part of the Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors series. I look forward to reading more of Tricia’s books. 

I was excited to learn that Tricia Goyer is also a homeschooler. We strange homeschool people have to stick together. And I just want to know when she finds the time to write such awesome books! There are some days I can barely form two (if that) coherent sentences. 

If you enjoy Christian Romance (especially about the Amish) I’m sure you will enjoy this book!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *