Sunday, February 23, 2014

And the Chin Has It! A Weight Loss Journal

As part of my ever evolving “Be Good to Beke” plan, I am keeping an online weight loss journal. My plan is to tell you how much weight I’m losing, what kinds of things I’m finding that help…etc. etc. And probably (because it’s me) I’ll ramble on about a variety of weight loss related topics. Hopefully. I’m not above discussing the latest episode of Downton. Keep in mind that while I might have an opinion I am not a medical professional (nor do I play one on TV). Be sure when embarking on a healthy lifestyle transformation that you work with a medical professional...especially one who you trust.


 Spring! It's not quite here yet, but we saw a few nice days in the Ozarks this past week.  And yes. Some of our folks think any temperature above 50 is a sure sign of short-wearing weather.

Not this girl. There has been a cartoon floating around Facebook of a lady perched on the edge of the bathtub. She appears to be ready to shave the forest that has sprung up on her legs...with a chainsaw. I feel her pain.

This week we  had to eat out (I went kicking and screaming, of course) not once, not twice, but three times.  Sometimes life is just busy. And sometimes I happen to have a taste for the new Panda Express (we've gotten 2!) that have opened in our town.

Not to worry. We didn't eat there 3 times. Just once. I'm not that obsessive. Maybe.

This is how I handle eating out. For one, I always go with a plan. A lot of national chains will have online menus and nutritional information posted. Even many of our smaller local restaurants have started posting their  menus. I know that if I have a plan and an idea of what I want to order I will be less likely to order impulsively. Even when traveling I know what fast food options are going to be healthier for me if we have to drive thru somewhere.

Many restaurants are making an effort to include tasty dishes on their menus that are healthier. Don't automatically order a salad.  Just because it contains lettuce doesn't mean it's your healthiest option. An exception for me is I generally order a chopped salad from Subway. I even love the pickles in my salad. Subway is great because they have an online calculator that lets you calculate everything you added to your sandwich or salad.

Because I follow basically a low glycemic diet, I know that some options are just a better for me. I order a sweet potato instead of a traditional baked potato. Just have a plan. Did I say that already?  This article from Sparkpeople.com has some great advice for eating out. I've referred to it many times.

Foodie
One of my favorite things to make are  Burrito Bowls inspired by Chipolte. In fact, they are on my list for this next week's meal plan. I generally make a big batch of my  Thrifty Gal's Salsa and guacamole.  Have I told you about skinnytaste.com, yet? I'm sure I have. I absolutely love this site. One of my easy favorites to serve with the Burrito Bowls is this easy Cuban Black Bean Recipe. This recipe for Cilantro Lime Rice is also a keeper. I just stay away from the tortillas (I make sure there is plenty for The Muffin and Josiah). There are low-carb and whole wheat tortilla's available, but I have learned to love my Burrito Bowl without them.

Move It! Move It! 
I moved quite a bit this week. I feel pretty good about my workout choices. I recently made a purchase of a workout video that I'm excited to try. I haven't got them yet in the mail, but I will be sure to chronicle my experience. I do have a question, however. How does one work out a double chin? Good grief! I know it's not as large as it used to be, but I had little bit of a fluffier face when I was skinny. My face is holding on to every bit of chin it can. My mom took this pictures of me today in her greenhouse.  She took pictures for me for my writing bio gigs (and a new blog picture). I've changed my hair so I had to change my picture, right?

I realize that my eyes are funky and it appears I am staring off into space (which is normal for me). In my defense, however, I was staring at some cows in the field. I just was staring at some cows in the far corner. I eventually changed what cows I was staring at. I chose this picture to show you so you could appreciate my double chin in all its glory.


Scale Says!
This week I lost a pound... I'll take it.

Have a wonderful week!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *