Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Tastes Like Summer Pie




You might be related to me if you dream of pie.

We do pie.

And while I admit that the recipe I am sharing today can't hold a candle to the towering Lemon Meringue pies my aunts make for family reunions or my Mom's chocolate pie....it is plenty tasty. And Lite!

If you are a food purist it is best to slink away right now.

This recipe takes advantaged of boxed jello and Cool Whip. There is a light at the end of your health craze tunnel. This recipes also contains yogurt.

I first enjoyed this pie at a niece's graduation party last year. My calorie conscience sister-in-law whipped a couple of these tasty treats right up. While I did enjoy that lovely (the best I've had) lemon graduation cake, I was thrilled to taste what seemed to me like summer in a pie.

Generally, I have seen this pie made with a graham cracker crust. I made this pie with a traditional crust. The sugar count is a bit lower with this one...though the graham cracker crust is really yummy.

Just a note: You will have to forgive my pictures. It helps when I don't cook in the dark (which I am apt to do). The result is that my pictures are a little dark. 


You can use whatever flavor of jello you have on hand. This is sugar free lime jello. I dissolved it in a 1/4 cup of hot water.



Then I mixed in 1 1/2 cups of yogurt...which comes out to be 2 6oz. cartons. You can use greek yogurt or whatever kind strikes your fancy. I believe this yogurt is orange flavored. Or peach. I just can't remember. You can really be clever with flavor combinations. I used what we had on hand. Which I believe is pretty clever (if I do say so myself0.


I stirred in an 8 oz. carton of Cool Whip until all of the ingredients were well blended. Then it was time to fill the pie crust (just make sure your pie crust is completely cool).


I then did a little "fluffing" with a spoon and refrigerated the pie for about an hour.


This pie could have used another hour before I served it, but we were ready for pie!! It is also greener than the picture represents. It really turned out quite pretty in real life.



Here is the recipe:

1/4 cup of hot water 
1 package (3 ounces) gelatin (I used SF), any flavor
1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) yogurt (you can match it with the jello)
1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 pie crust

 
In a large bowl, combine gelatin and hot water until dissolved. Fold in yogurt and mix. Then fold in whipped topping until completely mixed. Spread into crust. Refrigerate for at least an hour or so.

The flavor combinations are endless! I think my favorite ever has been one made with orange jello and orange cream yogurt. I also think I prefer using the Greek Yogurt. 

Hope you enjoy this Taste of Summer!

 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *