Monday, September 8, 2014

A TOS Review: Under Drake's Flag



I adore audio products. I love listening to books on CD while driving and cleaning house. And because Josiah is dyslexic we have taken advantage of the medium.  It’s easy to get lost in the worlds of our favorite characters. 



I have found another stellar product to add to my collection. Even better? It’s history, my friends.
It is not a dry, rambling history that leaves the listener with droopy eyes and a sleepy brain.
It’s exciting. And rambunctious. And we loved every minute of it.

I am talking about Under Drake’s Flag, a 2 disk audio drama from Heirloom Audio Productions.
Some of you might have heard of G.A. Henty. He was an English novelist who wrote over fictional books based on history. His books are fantastic and this audio production brought all of that delicious drama to life. It is based on his book of the same name, Under Drake’s Flag

It is intended for children 6 and over. There are few intense adventure scenes, but considering we all love intense adventure scenes we were good with that. Who can argue with sharks? There was even a possibility of torture involved. Josiah was elated. 

The 2 hour production is fully dramatized. The actors playing the parts are really excellent. I encourage you to go take a look the videos that are on the website. Just those alone made me so excited to listen. 

http://www.underdrakesflag.com/index.php

There is swashbuckling music and exciting sound effects.  We were all on the edges of our seats through much of the production. I think I forgot to breathe a few times the first time we listened to it.
The story is based on the English explorer, Sir Francis Drake. However, it is told from the view point of Ned. He is a courageous young man who conducts himself with integrity and purpose. I was so pleased to have Josiah engrossed and involved in a story that promoted such character qualities.

We also received a study guide to download. The study guide moves along with each chapter of the book. There is a Listening Well section which includes comprehension questions. The Thinking Further section helps the listener connect to the story. The Defining Words list the words used in the story that might be more challenging.

I love that the Study Guide focused on Godly character and what it takes to be a True Man. It also had some information about Sir Francis Drake. It inspired us to do some more digging.

I can see that many homeschool families will love using the Study Guide along with the audio production. It really brought some of those important principles into focus.

I can’t think of a single thing I can be critical about. We loved every minute. I knew Josiah was a fan when he suggested that his cousins and friends would enjoy it as well. He has become a spokesman!

Josiah and I can’t wait to get our next production. It was so enjoyable. I can’t recommend Under Drake’s Flag enough.

You can purchase Under Drake's Flag for $29.95. You can also find it on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/UnderDrakesFlag  Click the Banner for more Reviews.







Under Drake's Flag Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *