Monday, November 10, 2014

A Review: Countdown to Thanksgiving




I adore Thanksgiving. I like spending time with my family. I like cooking the food. I like eating the food. I love the chill of the fall day and reflecting on those things which God has blessed me with. 

As a busy Homeschooling mom, I also know how hard it is to just relax and let your family enjoy the wonders of this season of Thanks. It is easy to get caught up in our 'to do' lists.

I generally like to schedule a few easy weeks of great books, art projects and cooking lessons. This is the week our easy few weeks begin. Sure. Josiah can't escape from Math. I'm not that easy. But I like to make sure that we are all enjoying and learning the how's and why's of Thanksgiving (and Christmas for that matter). 

I have found my Thanksgiving Curriculum for this year. I had a chance to review Heroes and Heroines of the Past: American History (which I loved) early this year. Amy Puetz (the creator) has just come out with a new curriculum. Countdown to Thanksgiving: Memory Making Stories & Activities for 14 Days Leading Up to Thanksgiving. It is intended for ages 6-14...but I think the you can involve the Littles (and the Bigs) if you wish.

The Countdown for this year is scheduled to start November 13, 2014. The book comes in an ebook or print book and is almost 100 pages long. Each chapter is titled as such; 14 Days Until Thanksgiving, 13 Days Until Thanksgiving and so on. 
Amy uses beautiful old stories and literature to frame this curriculum. They range from history to moral lessons and fun stories. Many of the stories are from the 1800 and 1900's. 

Each chapter also has a variety of activities. They might be a recipe, song or skit. Or a craft project. There is an adorable pattern for a Pilgrim's Bonnet and a recipe for some yummy looking Angel Biscuits. I think they might be Josiah's contribution to Thanksgiving Dinner this year!!
I can't think of a better way to soak up the blessings and lessons of the Thanksgiving holiday and all the loveliness found in this thoughtful and meaningful curriculum. 
You can purchase Countdown to Thanksgiving for $17. This is one we will be able to use year after year. 
Check it out!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *