Friday, January 30, 2015

Dance Your Butter Off





You might be a homeschooler if you can combine science and physical ed in one simple move. Not to mention the very practical skill of food preparation.

Last week (just after we read Pancakes, Pancakes by Eric Carle) our little reading group made butter.

This is such an easy activity. And it was so much fun.

You can see for yourself in the following video. Then I will share with you how to you too can Dance Your Butter Off.




You can see that Josiah is not as impressed. I am also disturbed by my cackle. I CACKLE! I want to giggle or twitter. I don't want to cackle! 

Anyhoo. 

I did create this little printable for our butter making activity. The kids simply recorded the steps in the butter making process

Just click on the picture and it will take you to my google drive file.



For this butter making activity you will need:

heavy whipping cream
a jar with a lid
and lots of energy

I added just about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of whipping cream to each jar. We divided it up between 4 jars so everyone could shake their thing.



I have to say that the smaller jars worked just a little bit better. This one is a jelly jar. The pints took a few minutes longer.

We set the timer for 10 minutes and just shook! 


And some of us danced. And some of pretended like we were too cool to make butter in a glass jar.


You can tell when the butter is done. It will separate into a ball. Just drain the 'buttermilk' from the butter.


I did salt the butter just a little bit after it was done. 'Cause that's the way we roll.



It was lipsmacking good!



I'm considering implementing a butter making session every day around 2:00pm. I figured I danced and shook off at least 2,000 calories.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *