Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Sentence Diagramming: Beginning

I learned to diagram sentences in the 6th grade. Mrs. Wilson, my delightful English teacher, was passionate about the sentence diagram. I am ever grateful to the delightful Mrs. Wilson. I believe diagramming is such a useful tool. Recently, I had a chance to review Sentence Diagramming: Beginning  from The Critical Thinking Co.™



Sentence Diagramming: Beginning is a 72-page workbook intended for grades 3-12 (and beyond). It is available in an e-book, but I got the print workbook. This book begins with very simple subject-verb sentences and gradually increases in difficulty. There are 12 lessons along with a review. The books are consumable and The Critical Thinking Co.™ has a very generous policy concerning copying pages. They allow parents to copy as many as needed within their own family group.

Our Experience and My Thoughts

I have mentioned my fondness for diagramming. However, Josiah is dyslexic and my concerned is that it would overwhelming for him. However, he is really doing well and I felt that this book might introduce diagramming in a gentle way.

I began slowly. In fact, we did the first lesson a few times.  We utilized our white board. I LOVE the fact that I could move at Josiah’s pace.

The lessons are short and provide plenty of different ways for Josiah to practice.

Every lesson begins with an explanation and example. You can see in the picture below that this page allows the student to correct a sentence that has been diagrammed incorrectly. This was an excellent way for me to see if Josiah really grasped the concept. 


 Here is another section of Lesson 1. This time helping verbs were introduced. 




One of Josiah's favorite part of every lesson was making up his own sentences. This was also a great indicator of how how well he grasped the lessons. 


Of course, we didn't have time to get through the entire book during our review time, but I've spent some time browsing through the other lessons. They are set up similarly. Each lesson provides plenty of practice. This book ends with Lesson 12: Compound Predicate Adjectives and Nouns. 

After that, there is a Review that consists of 25 sentences. 

So you are yelling at the screen at this point. "I NEVER LEARNED HOW TO DIAGRAM SENTENCES! HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO TEACH MY CHILD!"

My friends. You do realize that until I did this review, I hadn't seen a sentence diagram for yeaaars. Guess what. You can do it! AND the answers are in the back of the book. How handy is that? 

This is something your family can do! I personally believe that there is a plethora of benefits of learning to diagram sentences. Some of us strange folks actually find it enjoyable. 

The Critical Thinking Co.™ has lots of great products. Members of the Homeschool Review Crew got to review several of them.  Do you have preschoolers? Some of the members of  Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic Before Kindergarten!™ bundle.

You can connect with The Critical Thinking Co.™  via the following social media outlets. Don't forget to click on the banner below to read more reviews. 

Language Arts {The Critical Thinking Co.™}
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *