Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Beke Gets Frank

I’ve been sick.

Again.

I currently have the worst cold of my life. I’ve been sick for 5 days.

5 days, my friends.

I’ve had enough snot come out of my head to fuel a large battleship. Not that snot is considered a viable fuel source.

I also have more on my “to-do” list than is decent. Right now, The Muffin and Josiah are off picking up things like toilet paper and cat food. I usually do the shopping runs and I think The Muffin was waiting it out until I felt better.

Things changed when we ran out of toilet paper.

All this time in bed has allowed me to do a few things. I’ve gotten several more history lessons ready for the curriculum I’m writing. However, I am sure there will be some intense editing than needs to be done after all the snot clears. I’ve already caught myself rambling about the plight of the Chinese peasant at the turn of the 20th century.

I also want to be well before we leave to spend Thanksgiving with family. I absolutely hate being sick on holidays.

Today there is something else I want to talk about.

Something happens to me when I get really sick. I become a little less patient with nonsense.

Even if you know me in real life, you might not know this about me.

I can be REALLY frank.

You might not know this about me because for the majority of the time I try to keep it zipped up. After all, I don’t have to express my opinions all the time.



But I probably have an opinion and it might not be one you share. And I’m not about to argue with someone who just likes to argue.

I simply. Do. Not. Care. 

The people pleaser in me would rather just keeps things mellow. After all, I don’t know everything. I am not right about everything. And neither do I have to prove my ‘rightness’ to anyone. I frankly don’t have the need to justify or explain myself.

I also don’t need to be preaching at you. You’re grown. Just be prepared to face the consequences of the nonsense you spout out on Facebook.

But here are a few things I need to just get off my chest. I am at that stage in my life when it's just better to be frank when times call for it.  And as I can't walk around handing out my manifesto to everyone on the street (that would be just weird) you, my friends, are about to get the whole shebang. 

1.       It’s not about you. Really. Most things you get offended about have nothing to do with what you need to be worrying about. You have bigger fish to fry. 

2.       You probably don’t know about half the stuff you think you know. Just because you read it on the internet doesn’t make it true. Be a student of history. Don’t be hasty to build worldview around someone else’s opinions. Read and study. Think before you spout. There is ALWAYS more to the story.

3.       Watch that potty mouth. Really.  People will listen when your words are peppered with conviction, substance and intelligence...no matter what the subject matter. Using foul language changes the whole conversation. If you want to use foul language around me...take you and your conversation elsewhere. I mean that in love 😘

4.       Walk in someone else’s shoes. We all tend to make snap judgments that have nothing to do with reality. All Republicans are bigots. All Democrats are arrogant and shifty. I am no more defined by my preference in the voting box than you are. Give it up already.

5.       Take responsibility. Even if you think you got the short end of the stick. Cut the excuses. We have to stop whining about those hard things in life. I’m preaching to myself here. Just do the thing.

6.       Tell yourself the truth. Don’t try and rewrite the past. What’s done is done. People will disappoint you. Don’t try and make them something they aren’t. Make peace with your life and with those in your world right now.

7.       Take care. What you do today will come back to bite you in the butt (sorry, Mom). It is what it is. You can’t expect to abuse your body and allow bitterness to fester in your heart without it eventually manifesting in your life. Find another way to deal with the stress.

8.       Give yourself a break. Most of you are owning it. You are taking each day as it comes. You are trying to love those around you and doing your best to make something beautiful out of your life. Don’t look to the left or to the right. Stop comparing yourself to other people. Take a nap. Take two naps. It’s time to be who God intended you to be. 

9.       Set your priorities. What things are you willing to die on a hill for? For me it comes down to a few things. Don’t mess with those who can’t protect themselves. I don’t care whose choice it is…I care about the unborn, children, and the elderly. Don’t mess with my son and my husband. They are precious to me. Don’t talk about women’s body parts and make suggestive comments. Gross. If you don’t believe in God and think Christianity is a crock that is your business. I doubt I will be able to convince you otherwise. But don’t expect me to be impressed by your bigoted attitudes and uninformed opinions. My brand of Christianity has nothing to do with your preconceived notions and ideas. I am a follower of Christ…not just a follower of rules. I love you...I really do. But loving you doesn't mean I have to agree with you. And I'm okay with that. 


10.   Just be nice. I have probably offended someone today. Being offended seems to be quite the thing right now. I hope it’s a fad. Like parachute pants and mini corn dogs. Pull up those big girl panties and get on with things. Times a’wasting. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *