Friday, January 12, 2018

A Favorite Space: My Piano

Happy Weekend, my friends!

We just got another blast of cold weather and snow. I had to reschedule a procedure I was going to have done today (a Venus doppler).  It wasn't worth traipsing around in the white stuff.

Not that I can traipse anywhere. All of the icy conditions puts a damper on my running around game. I sure have enough to do at home, so my running game would only prove to be distracting.

Every year, I love taking January to purge and redecorate.

This year, I'm taking my time. I'm designing one little vignette at a time.

My design style has certainly changed throughout the years. I have never been what you would call a "minimalist." But as I grow older, I am fonder of unique pieces, handcrafted items and touches of vintage here and there.

Mostly, I am of  the "use what you have" and "use what you love" persuasion. The results aren't always worthy of Joanna Gaines. But...a girl can only do what she can do.

I thought I would share with you what is going on with my piano.

You might need to know that for several years my piano was in storage. Our reunion was a happy one...though my piano is in desperate need of tuning. That will come later...for now she's all dressed up.

Fair warning. I've taken lots 'o pictures. Mostly so I could show my momma.


Here is the side view of the old girl. That fabulous "T" we got from Hobby Lobby in clearance for less than $8.



Excuse the glare. That snow is sparkly!



This beautiful watercolor is called "Field of Flowers." My momma painted it several years ago and it has been "on loan" at my house for some time.  That little garland is not part of the picture, but I had it up over Christmas and decided I would keep it up there for a while. I tried to move it...thus its wonky position.



The other big piece of my wall is a ruffled wreath I made out of an old hymn book. It was simple to make. I just sat down one night in front of the TV with my glue gun and the hymnal pages. I have made a couple of book page wreaths with the neater rolled pages, but I liked this one for myself. It's kind of messy....like me.


I didn't get a picture of the wine colored candle stick, but I've had that for several years. I got it at Hobby Lobby (once again in clearance). I put a cute little artificial plant on top. I got a set of them from Amazon. The container is cement. I loved the texture it adds.  I might change the candlestick in the near future. We shall see. 

I've had these Spanish dancers for years. They also spent some time in the storage building. They also came from my Momma. Got to love Momma's rejects. Spanish lady had an accident and we had to glue her back together. You can see her little glue line. We just pretend it's her belt. 


This is a special little piece. A dear friend from church, Joe, is a fantastic artist. His specialty is painting scenes and wildlife from his native Indiana (which is, of course, where we are living now). This little snow scene is just perfect on my piano. Joe is in his early 80's by the way. The rest of us have NO excuses.



This Hobby Lobby lantern is not really black. It has copper and bronze accents that you can't see in the picture. I did fill the lantern space with fairy lights at Christmas and decided to keep them for the winter. Shiny!


I am so in love with this piece. My niece, Kalynn, is a talented ceramist. She made us this bowl and a mug for Christmas. It can be used to actually eat in, but I couldn't bring myself to pour a bowl of cereal in it. It's just too special.



I will try and take a picture of the mug (which has lovely details) one of these days, but for now we will just bask in this bowl's loveliness.


This sweet owl is a candle warmer my sister-in-law, Deb, got me for Christmas. It comes from Yankee Candle. A few years ago, she bought me a smaller warmer that I use in my bedroom. It isn't an owl, but one of my favorite features of this particular warmer is that you can set it to be on for 3 hours, 6 hours or 9 hours.  The candle currently in use is lavender & vanilla. Delicious.


I am obsessed with this little rug. My momma made it. ON HER LOOM. I couldn't bring myself to use it as an actual rug so I put it on my piano bench.


It is gawwgous! And I think it is right where it needs to be.


I realize that the left side of the piano is a bit heavier than the other. I'm not ready to do anything about it quite yet. I like how I've anchored either side with a set of 3 books. I have a thing for books. And old books....I can't even tell you how much I love old books.


They make wonderful accents to my decor. AND I love using them to change the heights of my lovelies.



I also love using natural elements. This is a real piece of wood. It's cracked, messy and just perfect.


So that's it! I'll try and share a few more projects as I go.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *