Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Beke's Quick Recipe for Self-Care (5 Days of Homeschooling for the Weary Momma)

Welcome back to my 5 Days of Homeschooling for the Weary Momma!



Sooooo.

Yes. I need to take my own advice.

Recently, there have been many trips to Taco Bell. Too many late nights. Not enough time for rest.  Not enough water.

Yup. I'm talking Self-Care.

If you have some time, go check out a post I wrote a few years ago.

It's called Handle with Care. 

And truthfully, I need to revisit it this week. There are things I'm not doing well.

When you are weary it is MOST important that you take care of yourself. I get it. If you are a the momma of a new baby the most self-care you are getting is a shower.

If that is all you can muster, just be sure you are using some of that good smelling body wash.

We have to get our kicks somewhere.

There are a few principles I would like you to wrap yourself up with...like a fuzzy blanket.

We have to remember that most situations are temporary. However, the habits and self-care practices you put into your life will help you through those crisis moments.

Sometimes it feels like we are just fighting fires and jumping from one crisis to another. It's especially important during these times to focus on the important things. And, yes, YOU are one of those important things. Don't become a martyr at the altar of busyness.

Don't feel as if you can't provide yourself some "ME" time. I have had to learn this the hard way.

Another important principle to remember is that you are a survivor. Think back to all the things that God has brought you through in your life.

You have learned to praise God in the "whatevers."

It's also time to be intentional with self-care. Make taking care of yourself part of your daily schedule. This perhaps has to be one of my greatest failings.. I find that when I have a lot going on or I am particularly stressed I will do things like not take my medicine when I need to or eat right.

Something else you might not have considered is that you are modeling self-care for the youngin's in your household...especially those little women.

And we women are notoriously bad for treating ourselves poorly.

What I am about to reveal to you now is the secret formula passed down from generation to generation in my family...give or take an essential oil or murder mystery. It is what you need to do for yourself at least once a week and possibly more.

If you can't manage the whole shebang, at least take what you can do...nobody ever died from sipping on a cup of chamomile.

Undoubtedly you will have "those days." It's during those days that you feel like giving up. "Those days" can suck the life right out of you. It's especially important that you have a plan to regroup and re-energize and relax at the end of one of "those days."

So here is Beke's Quick Recipe for Self-Care. Or Things My Momma Might Have Told Me.

Don't underestimate a good soak in the tub. Especially after a hard day. In fact, go run yourself a tub. Dump in a good portion of Dr. Teal's Epsom Salts.

Immediately after leaving the bath, lather yourself in a good moisturizer. Whatever kind floats your boat.

After my bath, I like to brew myself a cup of hot tea. If it's close to bedtime don't make it a caffeinated tea. You'll thank me later. Drop in a bit of honey if you are so inclined.

Now here is another important thing. Chose some kind of something to do that will help you unwind. Try and stay away from anything homeschool related. Turn off the news. Stay away from Facebook.

Those people in your feed only make you nervous.

I like to read a good book or watch something completely mindless on youtube. Sometimes I get really weird and watch a ballet or some kind of interesting documentary. Interestingly enough, I enjoy a good mystery. Nothing like a 'whodonit' to take the edge off.

If you are an oily kind of gal, now would be a good time to diffuse your favorite. I also like to put some in my bath or rub them on the bottom of my feet when I need to relax. Dr. Axe has a good article on the best kind of oils for dealing with anxiety.

Before going to bed here are a few things you need to remember. Be sure you turn off the lights and your devices at a reasonable time. Tell all your people that you love them...no matter what the day might have held.

Sleep sweetly, my friends. And remember...You are loved.











I'm joining my friends on the Homeschool Review Crew this week. Take some time to read their posts. I know you won't regret it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *