Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Email for Kids & Teens! (Homeschool Review Crew Post)


I can remember the first time I had to set up an email account for my son. He was much younger at the time (he’s currently 16) and needed his own account for an online class. I have to say that it gave me the scroovies (probably not a word). Was this safe? Who would have access to my child?

Kids Email

A few years later, I got to review a fantastic email service from Kids Email, A few weeks ago, I received a  one-year subscription to Kids Email Safe Email for Kids to check out some of their new features.

I have to say I let Josiah lose in the technological world with fear and trepidation. Using Kids Email has eased some of my worries. Josiah has proven himself to be a fairly responsible user.

There are three levels of accounts within Kids Email. Josiah is using the advance mode for teens, but there is a simple level for young kids and a basic level for most elementary children.

Basically, the simple level is the least customizable. However, it is easier for young children to navigate. By contrast, the teen level allows the user to organize folders and looks a little more “grown-up.”


Kids Mail allows the user to personalize their screens. This is Josiah's. He picked it out. I personally would have gone with something pink and flowery.




While I let Josiah pick out his screen, I chose the security features. There are many! This is just a partial screenshot. Notice the option to allow bad words? Mother approved. I also get to preview his emails and chose who he gets email from. There is even an option to add my husband into the loop if I need him to take a turn with previewing emails.


So the safety securities are pretty great, but the extra features will just blow your socks off. And I mean that in a good way. 

If you want your child to receive email during certain times of the day or days of the week, no problem! You can put time restrictions in place. I haven't used this with Josiah. So far he hasn't stayed up all night getting emails from anybody! 



The same goes for the "Grounding" feature. Oh, yes. Let Kids Email do all the heavy lifting for you. You can see that it is easy to "ground" a child from using their email for a time period or a specific date.

I can easily help him manage his contacts. That big purple rectangle was put there by me. Underneath is the contact's email. 


As for as emails from those on the list that haven't been approved, they wind up here. It's been a while since we've deleted any. These are mostly news articles and the like.


I have found that Josiah uses his email mostly for correspondence. I like sending him little notes and have even started sending him assignments and chore lists. I really think it is vital for kids today to know how to navigate an email. Plus, I can guide him along with some of it. 

What is appropriate to send? What are some good rules of email etiquette?  

Now there are apps available for email users on the go. Josiah has both a android phone and a Kindle Fire and both are primed for email use. 

I thought I would share with you an email exchange we had recently. 



I reminded him to pick up his stuff in the living room. I also informed him he was in charge of supper and that hot dogs would be appropriate. 

He wrote back and told me that since he was in charge of supper he would rather go out. 

Cheeky! 

I will say that I have had to fight a little bit with myself during our email exchanges not to correct grammar, etc. Now you can certainly chose to use it that way if you wish.

However, I have enjoyed using it just as another way of communicating with my teenager. Plus, don't look too closely to my grammar in the above post. I misused a verb. 

So you can see that we are fans of Kids Email! It is a fantastic and safe way to get your kids properly introduced and active in the cyber communication world! 

You can connect with Kids Email via the following social media outlets. Don't forget to click on the banner below to read more reviews. 




Safe Email for Kids {Kids Email Reviews}
Crew Disclaimer

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *