Tuesday, October 2, 2018

First of Fall Musings




Good morning, my friends.

I'm in my usual spot. The corner of my comfy couch. I've got some hot coffee sitting beside me. Yesterday, I bought both the sugar-free versions of pumpkin pie spice creamer and peppermint creamer.

It doesn't get any better than this.

I have a doctor's appointment a little later.

Yup. It's THAT doctor. I would hate to read his notes about me. I am sure they are not flattering. Though one would think he has encountered pre-menopausal women before.

"Unhinged" might appear once or twice in those notes.

Today is mostly a test and then a little chat with him. I decided I'm definitely wearing mascara and one of my favorite pair of dangly earrings.

I don't know about you but I'm EXHAUSTED with the current news cycle and political nastiness. I am not here to defend my own thoughts on the matter. I'm fairly certain that most of us are just stinkin' tired of it all...no matter where you land on the political spectrum.

Then there are just seasons of life that are more challenging than others.

Maybe you are experiencing one of those right now. I am sorry to say that I don't have any easy solutions to navigate those seasons. There are no magical pills or mantras that I can pass along.

We are a society of "quick fixes." Unfortunately, some trials are to-be endured. And it is up to us how we endure. I made up my mind a long time ago to endure those trials with us much grace and positivity as I could. I also learned that most of the time I'm a hot mess and need God's help with the grace part.

Amen and amen.

I've also learned that I need to temper my expectations about what I think "life" should look like. I need to embrace those small moments.

The small moments might look like enjoying a hot cup of coffee with pumpkin spice creamer. Sitting with a loved one and listening to his or her story. Filling a vase with sunflowers or putting a pumpkin on your front porch to greet guests.

All of these things are happening at my house today.

Today is the day that you need to fill your life with a little beauty. It is the day that you need to turn your attention from the ache in your heart to something lovely.

Just do it. Wear those dangly earrings and plant a vase of wildflowers in the middle of your table. Call a friend or doodle a scripture verse on a journal page.

Make a loaf of pumpkin bread or take a long walk. Breath in and breath out. Sing loudly and joyfully. Take a hot bath (my momma's answer to all of life's ills) or make your bed.

Everything will fall into place...or not.  But the world will look a little brighter through the lens of contentment.

So that's about it. It's about time I get around and dig out those dangly earrings. I've assigned Josiah some math and reading. He's currently doing a Bible Study using Tim Tebow's book, "Shaken." I think he's really enjoying it.

It's hard to tell with the boy.

Have a beautiful day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *