Tuesday, July 27, 2021

I'm 49. And I'm Going Back to College




 I know! 

I've neglected my little blog terribly. 

Stuff. That's all I can say about it all. 

I've had stuff. 

AND I continue to have stuff. Some of the same stuff and some new stuff. 

AND I know you clicked here because you are curious about the title of this post. AND it's all true. 

I am going back to school. Long story short. At least, I will attempt to keep this long story short. Those who have followed me a while know that I can be a bit wordy (just a bit).

WAAAY back in 1996, I went back to school. For the first time. Actually, I went to Beauty School directly out of High School. So I don't know if I need to count Beauty School as the first time....? 

But...you know what I mean. One month into my first semester in college I had a MASSIVE car wreck. Which I emphasize the life-changing event by using ALL CAPS. It was that major. I continued classes at home when I was sent home from the hospital. I was taking 9 credit hours and my college agreed to let me continue them correspondence over the next semester. Keep in mind that online classes just weren't a thing back in 1996. 

I went back the next Fall Semester with 9 hours under my belt, in addition to a handy-dandy cane and major PTSD. I basically went to college for the next 4 years. In that time, I went into Heart Failure, was diagnosed with diabetes and cardiomyopathy, graduated with an Associates Degree, went on to teacher's college, taught in a Christian private school 40 hours a week, had a miscarriage and adopted a baby boy. 

I ended 2001 with a new baby and just a few credits away from my Bachelor's Degree. 

Can I tell you I was tired? 2001 was a rough year for so many reasons. I had a miscarriage in August. Exactly a month later 9/11 happened. We adopted Josiah in November. I decided to stay home with my baby boy and take a little time off. 

That time off turned into nearly 20 years. 

I don't regret staying home with that brown-eyed baby boy. However, I have always dreamed about going back and finishing my degree. I knew I couldn't teach again. At least, I couldn't teach little kids. Which is tough when your degree field is in Early Childhood Education. 

I've looked into going back before. Sometime when Josiah was 10-11, I thought I would check it out. But frankly, our little family was too stretched in other ways. We needed me to be at home and we needed me to be healthy. 

This year, however, this blessed year with all of its stresses and anxieties gave me permission to be just a tad bit selfish. 

I contacted our local state university and sent them my transcripts. I had more than enough credits to fit nicely into one of their programs. I got the money I needed. And yesterday morning, I purchased my books. 

I have about a year until I graduate. 

What's my degree in? 

I really couldn't tell you. 

It has Career Education in the title and my minor is in Education. 

Do I think that you need a college degree to be successful and happy in life? Absolutely not.

But do I believe in going after a goal and finishing the course? Absolutely. 

I am 49 years old. Many of those other dreams and goals won't be fulfilled in my life and I've had to come to terms with that. But, wow! It does feel good to have one more thing checked off that list. 

And really. I'm a nerd. I loved college. All the 4200 years I went. Though this time it will be online. Do I even know how to do that? 

I'm 49. I'll figure it out. 



1 comment:

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *