Wednesday, August 7, 2013

We'll Make a Man Out of You: (Raising a Godly Son)





Like with everything in my life I will admit that I don’t have this topic figured out. We are still raising our Little Man. 


All of us have aspirations for our kids. 


My husband and I (aka The Studly Muffin) perhaps have simpler dreams for Josiah. 


We don’t care if he is popular…just that he treats everyone with kindness. 


We don’t care if he is wealthy…just that he works hard, manages what he does have and shares with those who have need.


We both aren’t particularly ambitious ourselves. Life has thrown too many curve balls our way. If we spent time worrying about the “what if” we would have given up a long time ago. Josiah’s character means more than his earning power. 


There is one thing, however, that we hope for above all else. That Josiah has a meaningful and lasting relationship with Christ. That he makes a difference for The Kingdom. 


As Christians, there is often a tendency to focus on the culture of Christianity.  We have a lists of things we don’t do. We make lists of scriptures to memorize. We debate doctrine and church practices. We are good and we know it. 


Let me tell you what my son sees. He sees my life. Sure. There are doctrines and beliefs that we hold to. We focus on discipleship and self-discipline. These things all fall under the “training” part. 


But this is the thing. Are we living what we say we believe? And are we living a Grace-filled life?


This passage of Scripture found in Matthew 26:34-40 is the whole ball of wax. 


 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”


Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”


Does my life show the heart of Jesus? Am I truly keeping His commandments? 


My son is watching when I can’t forgive an offensive. My son is watching when I fail to walk in humility. My son is watching when I just can’t seem to be nice or considerate to my neighbor. My son is watching when I am impatient with what I perceive is the failings of others. My son is listening when I gossip. My son is watching when I am unrepentant and act the “know it all.” My son is watching when I don’t extend grace to others and to myself. My son is watching when I put other things ahead of my Relationship with the Heavenly Father. 


More than anything. It is my life and my words and my deeds that are the model for his own life. 

I recognize that Josiah can’t get to heaven on my coattails. Nevertheless, it horrifies me to think my actions and attitudes could draw him away. 

You can read the first two posts in my 5 Days of Homeschooling Blog Hop. Our One and Only and How to Giddy-up When Your Giddy-Up's Gone.

I'm joining in with some of my TOS Blogger friends. Check them out!

Summer Blog Hop 

You can also enter to win a FREE ticket to the The Schoolhouse Expo here. 

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *