Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Our Favorite Christmas Reads (A List)




When I was a little girl  I was snuggle up every night in the weeks preceding Christmas in my beloved canopy bed with my itty bitty sister. I would read from from a huge book filled with Christmas stories.  I can’t begin to tell you what the name of that book was. It was probably older, considering the fondness my mother has for the classics. And for thrift stores. I bet my "bippy" (don't ask) that my itty bitty sister still has the book in her possession. Since she was the last one to leave home she seemed to "inherit" all of our favorites. I'm not bitter.

One of my favorite traditions to continue with my son is to read through several Christmas books a year. We often incorporate them into our homeschool as well as our traditions. There is nothing better than snuggling together with a cup of hot chocolate (complete with a marshmallow and a candy cane for stirring) and a good Christmas book.

Below are a few of our favorites. I say “a few.” When I say “a few” I am actually telling you a whopper. It was soo hard for me to narrow it down to a few.  I do tend to like the classics. I also like books that are ‘purty.’ I didn’t include the Bible. Which is obviously The Authority on all things true (and our go-to resource on the actual Christmas story).  That resource is The resource in our house.

1.       The Crippled Lamb
4.       The Night Before Christmas Pop-up by Robert Sabuda.
5.       Winter’s Tale by Robert Sabuda..
6.       It’s Christmas, David!
7.        The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
8.       The Little Drummer Boy
9.       Room for A Little One
10.   A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
12.   How the Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Suess
14.   Christmas Day in the  Morning by Pearl S. Buck

I'm linking my list up to the Schoolhouse Review Crew's Christmas Books Round Up!


 

1 comment:

  1. Love!! I have to tell you. I tried (twice) to force my Josiah to read Hank the Cowdog books because of your high praise of the book series. He would. not. read. it. :( I may have to get the book from the library and read it myself.

    He finds things to read that have no bearing on anything I understand. He is currently reading the Darth Paper series by Tom Angleberger. He seems to like it.

    I have read the Best Christmas Pageant Ever. I was able to encourage my middle daughter to read that one, and she loved it. (So I do have some influence on somebody.) (jk).

    ReplyDelete

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *